Ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aneata

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got 2 golden headed sleeper gobies 2 weeks ago. One died 3 days after [first tank death :( ] but the remaining one seemed to be okay. Took a couple days but it eats fine. Still hides most of the time but I read that is normal.

I noticed some white spots on him the last couple days though. It's hard to say if it has been like that the whole time cuz the fish would always run and hide when I got close until recently.

Could it just be sand stuck to him? Are there other symptoms of ick to look for? Any good articles to read about? He does lay around hiding a lot but I don't know if it is because I'm watching and he gets scared. Also what should I do if he has ick?

My blue spotted jawfish died yesterday too which makes me think maybe he caught something from the goby? The jawfish lived happily for 5-6 weeks before I added anything else. Yes I have learned my lesson about quarantining fish and will do so from now on.

I have a 72 bow front aquarium.
Stock:
3 azure damsels
2 red firefish
2 bangaii cardinals
1 golden headed sleeper goby
1 brittle starfish
1 long spined urchin
2 blood red shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
1 flaming scallop
Lots of hermits/snails

Whites spots could be sand, but usually are Ich. The only two methods to cure Ich are copper or Hyposalinity. You would do one or the other in QT, not your DT. You would also want to leave your DT fallow (no fish, but other critters are okay) for about 6 weeks. That makes the Ich in there die off due to not having a host. That is important because the Ich is in the tank, not just the fish that has symptoms. If you just treat the fish, you still have a problem. It's no fun, but its the downside to not QTing before putting fish into your DT.

There are links to articles on Ich in other threads in here or just google saltwater Ich. It is good to know how this parasite works and also all of the stuff that does not work in treating it. Do it right this time and hopefully you end up with healthy fish going back into an Ich-free tank. QT moving forward and things stay that way.

Back
Top Bottom