ICK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have had these fish for over a year, put them in the new 75g, did fine for a week, put a clown pleco in their (awesome little guy) bought the algae eater food that is like a cookie type with the algae in the center, now I'm assuming from the pieces that go un eaten, seems fungus is in the tank, treated it with ICK medicine, I know I'll do a water change soon about 25%, anything else I should know in order to keep away the ICK?

Nothing apart from the basics.

Raise temp gradually, add aquarium salt (although I seem to recall something about Plec's not liking that too much), increase the water change shedule, and on and on...

Personally the last time I used Ick medicine the only thing it did was turn the water blue... I'd just stick to what works.

Sent from my D6603 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I have had these fish for over a year, put them in the new 75g, did fine for a week, put a clown pleco in their (awesome little guy) bought the algae eater food that is like a cookie type with the algae in the center, now I'm assuming from the pieces that go un eaten, seems fungus is in the tank, treated it with ICK medicine, I know I'll do a water change soon about 25%, anything else I should know in order to keep away the ICK?

Am I missing something? Why are you treating the tank with ICK medication when you have fungus growing on uneaten food?
Syphon out the uneaten food and reduce your feeding amounts.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've had one too many battles with ick and what you describe, even though not enough detail, doesn't sound like ick.

Yes, sorry for the lack of detail, was actually at work at that time. One fish had some spots on em, and another has a fuzzy thing hanging off him some. While the betta had a touch of fin rot going on as well. The medicine actually helped the fin rot though. I did syphon out the food and did about a 25% water change, Thanks for all the information and quick replies. I didn't think it was ick either, more like a fungus of some sort from that left over food in there. First time I used that food, so I know it has to do with that.

Back
Top Bottom