ID and Questions about my plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dgameman1

Aquarium Advice Activist
1EUgycX.jpg

bZBBzLp.jpg

17MiBkM.jpg

qYUjoRz.jpg

What are the names of these three plants, and is there any kind of information you guys can give me about them that would be helpful to a noobie? :):thanks::thanks:

The one with the thick sideways root
( Rhizome ) is an Anubias. You can plant it like you did or tie it to some driftwood.

The long leaves in the corner looks like a Crytocoryne wendtii. You may want to give it a big more space and root tabs. Crypts are my favorite plants :)

The last one with tiny leaves ?

Tina
Coursair Whippets

I know, I really love the Crypts a lot, I'll try and give it more space during my next water change, do you recommend more gravel? Or is what I have, fine? Is there a max amount of gravel you can even have?

I bought the 3rd one with the tiny leaves today and I don't know what it is =/

The dark leaved plant is Anubias. If there was a green looking root attached that should be above the surface of the substrate or it will rot and the leaves will fall off your plant. I think part of it is in view on top of the substrate but it should all be exposed. It wont hurt the plant to ull it up and replant with the green rhizome above the substrate. Anubias are pretty hardy aside from that, they require low light but grow slowly. No special fertilizing requirements that i'm aware of.

The taller plant looks like a Cryptocoryne. I'm not sure what variety but they usually do better if you add root tabs near them as they prefer to take nutrients from the substrate. I have a few varieties that are still very small (2-3cm of leaves at biggest) so i'm still learning about them. They usually require medium to high light. Plants can be grown immersed (under water) or emersed (leaves are exposed to air). If the Cryptocoryne was grown emersed it may start showing leaf melt. Don't pull it out of your tank. They take time to adjust to immersed conditions. They're also supposed to grow slowly.

No idea what your last plant is but i like the thin leaves.

The one with the thick sideways root
( Rhizome ) is an Anubias. You can plant it like you did or tie it to some driftwood.

The long leaves in the corner looks like a Crytocoryne wendtii. You may want to give it a big more space and root tabs. Crypts are my favorite plants :)

The last one with tiny leaves ?

Tina
Coursair Whippets

They are currently my favorites too. I just bought some brown Wendtii and Red Undulata to go with some lucens i got a month ago. Crypts will take up about 20% of my tank when they grow in.

Okay, So i'll double check there's nothingat all over the rhizome of the Anubias.

I'll also move the Cryptocoryne just a tad bit over just so that it can have more space and I'll buy some root tabs and place them, also my plant was grown immersed so that's great news.

And ANY idea of the thin leaves? I asked for them from the LFS and I bought them, but once I got home I realized that there were nothing that resembled roots?? I'm confused as all hell and kinda feel like they jipped me, unless someone can actually figure out what it is :p

I can't help you out with what the plant is but with stem plants you are probably better off separating the stems and planting them individually in a small area. In most cases roots will sprout eventually. Sometimes they will appear a long way above the substrate and some should also grow below the substrate. But if they are attached together tightly at the base there will be no room for the roots to expand. At some stage someone else will probably be able to identify it for you.

The thin leafed stem plants in last picture look like Didiplis Diandra but I can't see close enough to be sure. You really need to separate each stem apart from each other by the width of their leaves. Cut off about 2 cm off the bottom of each stem then replant. This stimulates them to start growing a little faster. OS.

The thin leafed stem plants in last picture look like Didiplis Diandra but I can't see close enough to be sure. You really need to separate each stem apart from each other by the width of their leaves. Cut off about 2 cm off the bottom of each stem then replant. This stimulates them to start growing a little faster. OS.

Would they be considered high, med, or low light plants?
And what kind of lighting do you suggest?

OH crud! Trying to remember here. I think it's OK in medium light and really needs a form of carbon like Excel or CO2. I guess we'll both have to google it. lol OS.

Back
Top Bottom