ID fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can someone identity this fish? Someone asked my hubby what it is. Thanks guy's.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry here's pic! Lol1402565456380.jpg

It looks like a poorly colored Parachromis managuensis however, it could also be a newer cichlid from central america that I am not that versed in. You may want to bring this up in the cichlid forum for a better ID.

Hope this helps

Thanks Andy I'll put a post on now. Thanks for your help :)

I'm confident it's actually a North American sunfish (Centrarchidae) called a warmouth bass (Lepomis gulosus). Do an image search on that species to see if it matches.

Tony

As I noted already, I am confident this is a warmouth bass (see for example: warmouth Lepomis gulosus). Some of my older (1970s) British aquarium fish books list this species as "peacock bass" (not to be confused with the cichlid now more commonly called peacock bass), so I assume it used to be available as a pond or coldwater aquarium fish. I very much doubt it's legal to keep the species now in Britain, given that there are restrictions on other sunfish species.

Tony

I do believe you are correct with the ID, Tony. I just don't recall that fish ever being available for sale or even legal to collect for sale so I'm curious how it could get to Scotland or if the pic is of a fish in the states in a private aquarium.

Yes, I was wondering the same thing Andy. However, as I mentioned, it is included in older British literature, so was available in the past. Also, I lived in London for 10 years and sometimes saw Lepomis species offered for sale. Mostly these were bluegills and pumpkinseeds, but I didn't always check them out carefully. It wouldn't surprise me if warmouths sometimes find their way there (perhaps via Europe).

It's funny, I was shipping fish to London in the 1970s and I know I couldn't ship that fish legally. ( Maybe you saw some of my fish? :D ) So it must have come in from "other means" lol

I didn't move to London until 1994, Andy. (I was "shallow marine fish researcher" at The Natural History Museum for 10 years.) Some of my first aquarium fish books in Australia were by British authors. I don't recall the title of the book in question (that is the one that included "peacock bass"), but it was by someone called Reginald Dutta.

Tony

Okay, the company I was working for in 94-99 was also shipping fish to Europe then. Maybe you saw some of the fish I packed? :ROFLMAO: :lol:

My apologies to the OP for drifting off subject. :angel:

Shellyx, where was this fish? in someone's fish tank?

My hubby joined a fishing forum ( a American site) and a guy on their has it in his tank and asked him if he knew what it was. Are they legal to keep in tanks? Thanks for the help.
Lesley

I haven't a clue where he comes from my hubby did ask but he hasn't said.

Heh. I catch these all the time in Texas lakes and rivers. They can be tasty. I don't think there are any laws against keeping them in an aquarium here other than restrictions on their size when captured. Must be six inches or more, I believe.

Illegal in the UK since they're non native and voracious predators.

The bigger ones, 10-12" put up a real good fight. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, the only genus of Centrarchidae now allowed is Enneacanthus and one species only E. chaetodon

Back
Top Bottom