ID good and bad or bad and bad? help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
1) I am hoping this yellowish thing on my rock is a good hitchiker for once. I have had my fair share of bad ones, including the bad c. isopod. Please help me identify this.

2)In the pictures you will also notice that I am getting brownish spots on some of my live rock throughout the aquarium. Im am thinking cyano??? Which I know is bad. This stuff just started showing up but within the past month I have also added Ich Attack to the water (the ich is still there so I have fish in hospital tank now) I also started adding DT's for my coral/clam about a month ago as well. I add the DTs about every 3-days. My ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate are all 0. My PH is around 8.3 after lights out. Calcium about 400, DKH 8-9. Do I need more clean-up crew maybe? I have a 75 gallon with 80lbs LR with 10-nassarius, 5-astrea, 3-margarita, 2-scarlet hermit crabs, and 4-shrimp cleaner & peppermint. How can I get rid of this ugly stuff? Thanks!

The yellow thing looks like an sps coral, likely porites. The brown stuff is hard to tell without a closer/clearer picture. Probably some type of algae.

It sounds like the yellowish thing is nothing to be worried about. I will get a better picutre of the brown spots growing on some of my rocks, because I would really like some advice on getting rid of it. Thanks.

If your tank is fallow (no fish) you don't have to add anything to get rid of the ick, it will die off by itself in 6-8 weeks. How old is the tank? What are the brown spots like? Slimy, reddish brown, any bubbles in it? Those attributes would indicate cyano. Other than that, I'm stumped. It has to be some sort of algae, IMO.

Here are some close ups. They look slimy and reddish brown but no bubbles. I took some close-up pictures of the rock that has the majority of this stuff. Other rocks in my tank are not as bad. Maybe my clean up crew is too small? I was adding that stuff while I still had fish in there, hoping not to take them out. Big waste of time and money, should have done hypo first. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 128
It looks like some type of algae. How are your nitrate and phosphate readings? You could try cleaning it off in a bucket of tank water. Maybe when you do your next water change. It could be the starts of cyanobacteria as well.

Have to agree that it sure doesn't look like cyano. Doesn't seem like cyano comes in "spot" like that normally. Agree though that it looks like you could easily remove the rock and scrub it in some salt water... not fresh water. That and several water changes (to rid yourself of whatever's in that herbal ich stuff you used) would probably go a long way to get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom