ID help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SigEpRudy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Bought 2 African Cichlids at LFS for $0.89 yesterday. It was a weak moment I know but they are the only residents in 30 gallon with a single 3 inch rainbow shark.

If you need the full story on my tank, I just posted it in the member introduction section ( http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f59/trying-to-catch-up-to-the-learning-curve-280853.html)

ForumRunner_20131003_215832.jpg
A full shot of the aquarium with the yellow cichlid in front and the rainbow shark in the hornwort up top

ForumRunner_20131003_215853.jpg
Here is the dark cichlid, I think it is an Acei perhaps

ForumRunner_20131003_215908.jpg
Here is the dark one again

ForumRunner_20131003_215930.jpg
Here is the yellow striped cichlid

ForumRunner_20131003_215957.jpg
Here is another angle of the yellow one.

What do you think?

Aren't auratus to aggressive to be with acei? I don't own either just red that acei are at the more passive end and auratus are terrors.

How do you tell the difference between a auratus and a Chipokae? When I was at the store I had picked out a pure bright yellow one but the employee dropped it on the floor. I picked the stripped one on the spot. Really hoping it isn't a auratus. I don't think I'm ready for that.

Hard to know for sure with its size. Auratus tend to be very aggressive but it depends on the individual. I have one that gets pushed around by my peacocks.

Right now it is about 1.25 inch while the Acei is closer to 2 inch. The rainbow is 3 inch making the yellow stripe the smallest in the tank. It seems to be pretty relaxed so far and keeps to itself. I guess only time will tell. Sometime next week I would like to add two more if the chemistry is all settled. If possible I want an electric yellow and maybe a blue convict or Kenyi. Any compatibility issues?

You will have to get a bigger tank first if you want to add more and that looks like a juvi auratus to me and it may take till it matures to show it's real aggression and to determine if it's male or not, in my experience they are super aggressive, like mine harasses the whole tank and test the tank boss every now and then so I wouldnt recommend that fish for a 30g. And I've had both acei and there def more passive and need an even bigger tank because of there size.

These are both male chipokae and auratus the female of these species look very similar like the one u have but I'm sure it's a auratus. Both are considered aggressive so you really don't want either to start with.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131004_100434.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131004_100434.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 59
  • ForumRunner_20131004_100449.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131004_100449.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom