ID mushroom and weird thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandown123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys I have a few for you as I'm finally getting decent pics (halfway decent lol)

First is a mushroom I thought it was ricordea florida but now i'm not so sure.

second is a werid pink thing. it looks hard and it has small branches. it came in on the rock and it doesnt grow a whole lot but it has been getting darker and darker lately and seems to be growing every so slightly. this is a bad pic but the best i can get.

third is this weird bushy red algae looking thing. its pretty hard though, i poked it. its like a bush its really fast growing too.

Attachments

• DSC01934.jpg
    DSC01934.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01945.jpg
    DSC01945.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC01937.jpg
    DSC01937.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 71
1. I agree... doesn't look like a mushroom to me either. But I'm not familiar with ricordeas. Looks more like an anemone to me, but I'm not familiar with those either!

2. Foraminiferan - a harmless filter feeder. Good article on them here...

Foraminiferans by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

3. What you said... some type of macro algae. Think it's the same as I have in my tank and can get a little rambunctious if not kept pruned back. Don't let it spread too much into your rock.

if it is an anemone it might explian why the ricordea yumas that were on the same rock withered away.

i wish i could geta better pic of the pink thing, i dont think it is formawhatever that is

First looks like a frilly mushroom to me.

Second looks like the small buds that pop off of corals. I used to have them all over my LPS corals and I had them all over my newer liverock. Most of mine withered away though I still have a few that are just... there.

Third is definitely a macroalgae.

First one might be a Frilly mushroom which is good, but I would keep an eye on it, as it may be a Majano anemone which is bad and invasive. It's kind of between the two...

Second is definately Foraminiferan as said above.

Third is possibly Caulacanthus sp. I don't have a positive ID, but I have it in my tank too, and it IS invasive. You should remove it being careful not to let little bits float around as it will attach and start a new plant where it lands. It is also VERY tough to remove from the rock.

Back
Top Bottom