ID Please....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stonefly

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have seen this fish at a few different fish stores in my area. Neither store was able to tell me what he is. Each store had them in a assorted peacock tank. Against my better judgement, because I did not know what it is I still bought one because I really like the way he looks. Here are a few pictures, any help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400797835.791930.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400797868.336756.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400797886.550113.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400797912.871017.jpg

Haplochromis obliquiden. It's technically a lake Victorian cichlid but die to its aggressive nature it can be kept with other Malawi cichlids. And from the looks of it yours seems to be a mix breed of some kind and the common name for these is zebra obliquiden due to the vertical lines on it. Where yours has deep vertical lines. Don't get me wrong that is still a very pretty fish. I have a female and I haven't seen anymore around where I live to get a male.

Haplochromis obliquiden. It's technically a lake Victorian cichlid but die to its aggressive nature it can be kept with other Malawi cichlids. And from the looks of it yours seems to be a mix breed of some kind and the common name for these is zebra obliquiden due to the vertical lines on it. Where yours has deep vertical lines. Don't get me wrong that is still a very pretty fish. I have a female and I haven't seen anymore around where I live to get a male.

Zebra obliquedens have horizontal stripes i thought! And i am still a little new to Africans, but i kinda find out odd that two different stores an hour away from each other would have the exact kind of fish. Some coloration and stripe pattern. I have a zebra obliquedens and they look completely different...

Sent from my LG-D959 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most fish stores order from he same place. The lfs I used to work at ordered fish from around 30 miles away

I have thought about that add well, but one that i go to all the time orders from Florida and the other store gets there fish from Boston

Not sing you are wrong,just kinda strange that if it is a hybrid that two stores that Getty there fish from two different places have the same hybrid. I guess it is possible though...

Right and I'm not saying that I'm 100% correct by any means. It's just my opinion of the fish ;). But it is highly likely that both places order from the same place. And I know he place your talking about in Florida we have ordered from ten in the past but it more of a once a mont thing due to the price of shipping which in turn raises the price of the fish

Back
Top Bottom