ID these eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsantucci

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

Can someone help me ID these eggs? My tank has guppies(obviously not them), zebra danios, peacock gudgeon pair, Bolivian Ram pair, bronze cories (unsexed), ottos (unsexed), nerite snails (these are not the same as their eggs), ramshorn snails, bamboo shrimp, and amano shrimp.

20131031_184536.jpg

20131031_184336.jpg

20131031_184455.jpg

I'm not 100% positive but they look very much like Catfish eggs so your Ottos or Bronze Cories are the most likely candidates for doing this.
We can rule out the Guppies and Danios cause Danio eggs don;t stick and the gudgeons and Rams should be bottom spawners. Shrimps carry their eggs and snails usually leave their eggs in a jelly mass or a large mass if above the water line. This leaves the catfish, who are more of an egg scatterer, as the most likely. My backup guess would be the rams before any of the other fish.

Hope this helps

Thanks. I think it is the corys also. After looking at pictures of their eggs online they are almost identical. Zero chance of them surviving on the power head though I'm sure they will get sucked right in.

Thanks. I think it is the corys also. After looking at pictures of their eggs online they are almost identical. Zero chance of them surviving on the power head though I'm sure they will get sucked right in.

They're on the output of the PH though. They'll just go blowing across the tank.

You could also just turn the PH off for a few days until the eggs hatch or move the PH to another tank (still turned off) and replace it with another PH if your tank needs the PH all the time.
Just some options ;)

They're on the output of the PH though. They'll just go blowing across the tank.

Lots are on the intake part on the other side that you can't see unfortunately.

You could also just turn the PH off for a few days until the eggs hatch or move the PH to another tank (still turned off) and replace it with another PH if your tank needs the PH all the time.
Just some options ;)

Yeah I may have to do that. Maybe I can overnight another Koralia 240 from Amazon because I do need that for flow of my CO2. How long do Cory eggs take to hatch?

Cory eggs usually drop after about 3-5 days, if you plan to keep them, set up another tank for your current fish, an air stone will be enough for the eggs, get some liquifry for egg layers and start feeding once the eggs drop, or disappear. After two weeks you will see little tiny fry swimming about. It's a great experience. You can trick Corys into breeding by sudden drop in water temp, 17'c will do it. This replicates the amazon wet season and is the trigger for these fish. This is better done in a separate tank, so it's easier to return parents to main system rather than catch all of your stock out. A60x30 will do but you will need to break them into two or three batches in similar sized tanks as they grow. 20-50 survivors is usual. YouTube 4tanks2day it's really old or Flickr: Nano Second Artist's Photostream my fishes set.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom