ID this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
My daughter fell in love with this guy a few months back at the LFS, all alone in his tank. He's gotten about 4-5x his size since we had him. He doesn't look like any rainbow that I've ever seen...

Attachments

• 20130118_203221_1.jpg
    20130118_203221_1.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 150
there is a short fin species I believe and since his a loner it may not display it's full color. Just my thoughts though... And yet again I could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diamond Tetra? Diamond Tetra Fish

Edit: On second thought, the fins don't look quite right...

Are the ones in your image above congo tetras?

Last edited:
Yes, the pic I posted are Congo tetras. (that's not my pic though) I found it at the net

They are egg scattering fish that exhibit no parental care. It is extremely unlikely in a community tank that any potential eggs would even last long enough to hatch, so I would not bother worrying about fry. If you like the males go ahead and grab one as long as there is room in your tank. Congos will show more interesting coloration and behavior when they are kept in groups anyway. If you have room, a group of them is a really nice addition to most community tanks. They get quite large as far as tetras go, so I recommend a minimum of 3' tank for a group, although 4' would be better.

Thanks for the info. I've got a school of rainbows in the tank along with guppies and a few tetras, so I probably won't add any more congos anytime soon, esp. since I will be starting a SW build shortly.

I promise you this is a female Congo tetra, Phenacogrammus interruptus.

Back
Top Bottom