ID this nutrient problem plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaiofcanada

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a red tiger lotus and a red temple plant in a tank with alot of other plants in my 20 gallon planted. See My Tanks for list. Curious thing I noticed yesterday on the red tiger lotus and today on the red temple are these regions of clearish- almost transparent spots on the oldest leaf of the lotus plant and on a couple leaves of the red temple. all older leaves as well. I do not see this on any other plants, nor do I see this on newer leaves, including the red ludwigia, limnophila hippuroides, and purple cabomba, which also have red pigmentation.

What nutrient deficiency might this be caused from specifically?

I currently have Flourite substrate, use Flourish Comprehensive every 2-3 days, Flourish Excel 1 ml every day, as the full dose makes on of my angels sickly, and API root tabs under a couple of the heavy root feeders. I have not begun supplementing with trace fertilizer as the flourite has some of those. I recently ordered the trace though from fosters and smithe and will also be getting my new CO2 setup. My lighting is an 11 hour timed cycle with a Current USA 65W 10k lighting set up.

Attachments

• red temple.jpg
    red temple.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 50
  • red tiger lotus 2.jpg
    red tiger lotus 2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 43
Doesn't look like you are dosing macro nutrients like Potassium. I'd try some potassium. Flourish makes a liquid potassium supplement. What do your nitrates run? You might have to dose them too if your nitrates stay under 5ppm. You have alot of faster growing plants that probably use up the nitrates in the tank.

Doesn't look like you are dosing macro nutrients like Potassium. I'd try some potassium. Flourish makes a liquid potassium supplement. What do your nitrates run? You might have to dose them too if your nitrates stay under 5ppm. You have alot of faster growing plants that probably use up the nitrates in the tank.

My nitrates regularly run between 5-20ppm. So, I guess I am safe there.

As far as potassium deficiency....I thought this caused browning of the leaves. The spots I am seeing are nearly transparent spots on both of the plants between the veins of the older leaves. Otherwise the edges and tips seem healthy. My LFS carries the potassium fert so I can pick some up there today and start dosing. I suppose it can't really hurt :D.

Cool...getting some potassium tonight.
+1 for Fisheggs and JustOneMore20. Thanks guys!

I love that red tiger lotus! It is probably my fav plant.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom