idea for moonlights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think it would be cool to use the idea of making a mold out of wood and drilling holes to set your led's about 3" apart then wiring them up and pouring the liquid acrylic substance in the mold and letting it dry. the finished product would be little bars of leds that you could drill a hole in and mount the strip anywhere under the canopy.
kyle

I went to radio shack today and started wondering about why the prices of variable adapters were so high? Where does everyone else get them from that makes them cheap??? thanks

Electrobes:
I don't know how you could put a timer/photocell on the cold cathode side of the inverter the voltage in those wires is around 880volts.
I think to do what you want you would need 2 inverters and 2 power supplies with the timer & photocell between the power supplies and the wall outlet.
Same for the output intensity you would need one power supply operating at the full 12v to get daylignt intensity, and one cut back for the night light.

kribbz:
that sounds like a good plan, so long as the leds actually work.
I have one bad led so far, that has a broken connection inside it (it lights if you push hard on one of the wires going into it. But if you make sure everything is working right before sealing it up you should be OK.

Do I actually need the full 12 volts for the white cathod.. a 12 inch bulb to light up a tank of only 36 ibches long, 12 inches deep, and about 22 inches high??

Unfortunately no, I got mine from RadioShack p/n 273-1667
the Universal Power Adapter 3volts-12volts at 800ma and about 30$cdn.

I think the other folk found some cheep fixed output voltage units at HomeDepot.

Hmm.. well I am now wodering what to do. I bought a dual inverter and a blue cathode bulb (one package) from ebay at a really cheap price.
Should I keep my current regular 36 inch flourecent light... and buy a red bulb to add to what I bought from ebay (a dual cathode kit with one blue bulb), and have the regular flourecent be the day time lighting while having the dual cathode set up (of one blue and one red bulb) be the moonlights?
Or should I just get another cathode kit, with a white bulb, make it a day time lighting, while keeping the dual cathode kit and use a red and blue bulb (or should I just make it two blues, or maybe even make it a single bulb (leaving the other side without a bulb) with it just being a blue cathode)?
This is so confusing :cry:

hehe I made a boo, but ZI did decide what to do. I am just going to buy a new grow bulb for the 24 inch fluorescent, and one either side of the fluorescent will be the cold cathodes. Is it a good thing to have one red cathode and one blue? SHould I just have it be one blue bulb instead?

I just realized something... I am going to make a custom hood for the 45 gallon, but should I put some type of protection or cover under the lights (the 24" fluorescent, and the blue cold cathode)?? Or can they withstand some of the water vapors?

(adding to above question) also for the moonlights... should I not get a 12v adapter for the inverter? like should I get a lower voltage adadpter.. will this dim the cold cathode? did dimming (lowering the voltage) on the blue cathodes work?

yay my CCT came in today! :D But I am still lost as to what aapter I should get for this thing... anyone know what would be best for the above post too? thanks!

okay I know I have many questions.. and here is another one :p I got the sunbeam cathode light.. in wiring terms.. does yellow mean positive and black mean negative? I want to cut the wires from the power supply source.. and attach the adapter wires instead. thanks

dusty now we need to see those same LED's at 20x output on the driver circuit... sunglasses maybe?

Back
Top Bottom