Idea for new DIY large tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RazorbacksFan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been planning on building a 120+ gallon tank to give me something to do in my downtime and have been looking into plywood tanks because of the cost effectiveness I however prefer to be able to see through the sides of the tank. So I was thinking I would do three glass panels instead of one.

So to break it down

Front-Glass
Sides-Glass
Bottom-Plywood
Back-Plywood

Anyone know how this would work?

I wanted to build a 150 or 180 until I priced the glass, in both cases the cost exceeded the cost of buying a new tank. I wound up buying a 120 for around $300 new. Good luck.

Almost forgot, if you're going to embark on this journey you have to determine how thick the glass needs to be, there are calculators out there to help you out. Try googling it, I'll try to find the link i used and post it for you.

I'm pretty sure it's been reported many times that this only becomes cost effective at a size over 200gallons or something in that range. I see tons of 125 gallons on craigslist often for $100 by people who want to just get rid of them... For the time, effort, and labor involved I would just go for greatness and build yourself a monster!

I'm pretty sure it's been reported many times that this only becomes cost effective at a size over 200gallons or something in that range. I see tons of 125 gallons on craigslist often for $100 by people who want to just get rid of them... For the time, effort, and labor involved I would just go for greatness and build yourself a monster!
Sadly craigslist never has any screamin' deals like that around here. I like a project to do, I think I have a connection for the glass my main worry would be the cost of a safe and tough coating for the inside of the tank.

That changes things! If you WANT to undertake it for the challenge and the rewards at the end of saying "I made that" which is something I often do myself, then go for it!

I think that the coating is the least expensive part of the project and possibly the easiest to find commercially available... the glass is gonna cost you, and the wood ain't necessarily cheap either, depending on what you buy...

::Edit:: I just saw that you have a glass connection!

I'm with sicklid, I love doing things for the challenge, the reward is well worth the journey know matter how painful the journey.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom