Ideal discus setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinibotia

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm setting up a discus tank for a project and I need to have a tank that compromises between maximum comfort for the fish (minimum stress) and minimum maintenance (minimum decor). Do you find a lot of structure/decoration in the tank decreases their stress, or will it not make a significant difference compared to a bare bottom tank?

They will be less stressed when supplied with lots of grass-like plants. Ive seen people get driftwood that looks like mangrove roots too and those always looked amazing.

The tank is for a scientific study, so aesthetics are entirely irrelevant. Which is to say that the only factors I care about are the comfort of the fish (very important for this particular experiment) and the ease in maintaining the tank. I've seen a lot of suggestions for bare tanks but I worry that a complete lack of structure in the tank will make them easily spooked, especially when the tank is in a lab that is used for classes and other projects

Comfort for them would be higher temps 82-84f and frequent water changes.
The no substrate bottom is to keep the tank cleaner. They do spook easily so some driftwood would work. Also they seem more active with a group, sometimes even other fish like rams are good companions.

The tank is for a scientific study, so aesthetics are entirely irrelevant. Which is to say that the only factors I care about are the comfort of the fish (very important for this particular experiment) and the ease in maintaining the tank. I've seen a lot of suggestions for bare tanks but I worry that a complete lack of structure in the tank will make them easily spooked, especially when the tank is in a lab that is used for classes and other projects

I think you probably misunderstand the phrase "scientific study". A true "scientific study" will have a control group and then at least 2 or more sub groups that alter on both sides. To go further, if you're going on about "comfort level" of the fish, you need to pick up a copy of Heiko volume I and II and read about 1200+ pages solely dedicated to Discus. Also, you should elaborate on "what" Discus your attempting for this "study". The differences between the main two are across the boards and then in the subs, it goes further.

As for lack of structure making them easily spooked, there's a long continued debate in the Discus community from day one as to the "proper" or "right" or "perfect" Discus setup. I don't know where you are but perhaps a road trip to a breeder is your best avenue. Or at least an online search and then some phone calls.

As posted above, that is an excellent link to get some great info but I think you'd be able to find much better "research"in a species only forum such as this :

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I think you probably misunderstand the phrase "scientific study". A true "scientific study" will have a control group and then at least 2 or more sub groups that alter on both sides. To go further, if you're going on about "comfort level" of the fish, you need to pick up a copy of Heiko volume I and II and read about 1200+ pages solely dedicated to Discus. Also, you should elaborate on "what" Discus your attempting for this "study". The differences between the main two are across the boards and then in the subs, it goes further.

As for lack of structure making them easily spooked, there's a long continued debate in the Discus community from day one as to the "proper" or "right" or "perfect" Discus setup. I don't know where you are but perhaps a road trip to a breeder is your best avenue. Or at least an online search and then some phone calls.

As posted above, that is an excellent link to get some great info but I think you'd be able to find much better "research"in a species only forum such as this :

SimplyDiscus

I appreciate the advice on the definition of scientific study. I am aware of all that you said but I wasn't going into all of the detail, just looking for generic advice from people with experience. No need to go into great depth for a simple question. I'm looking specifically at aequifasciatus. I really appreciate the reading material advice, I'll be sure to pick up those books. Thank you!

No offense intended. I just get all scratchy when it come to people and Discus.

Heiko's books are quite expensive. And super worth the read. I did get the opportunity to read them from a friend. Actually had to read them at his place too !!! One day I will have my own copy.

I figured you didn't mean any, but fish people and their fish... :D There is just not a whole lot of research done on Discus, and as far as actual research papers go I didn't find anything suggesting proper aquarium habitat. The actual topic of the study is just looking at a few factors involving immune proteins in discus slime, nothing crazy. But examining how the protein concentrations change when the fish are stressed means needing them to be as unstressed as possible as a baseline (also I just really like happy fish).
I wish I could get a copy of those books but It's definitely not in the budget, and there's no local breeders around here who might have it...

you could use a bunch of plastic plants , not as good as real ones but the heat will not kill them and they will not have snails or germs on them
they can be cheaply bought on e bay

Back
Top Bottom