Ideal fish for aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are some ideal fish for Aquascaping? I am beginning to get into having a heavily planted aquarium and i dont know the best fish that will not tear up my plants and what not. Guidance will be great appreciated!!

i have a 10 gallon and my current stock is 3 neons, 1 black skirt tetra, and 1 emerald green cory cat

I'd remove all those fish. Look into habrosus or pygmy cories for the bottom, otos and maybe an amano shrimp or a few cherries (after the tank is sufficiently aged), a nano fish or maybe threadfin rainbows or gertrudaes

IMO for that size planted tank id get 6-7 cardinals and 2-3 otos. they bring out great color in tanks i LOVE them in mine and when I remove my kribs will be adding 10 more to have 19 of them. I keep Pearl Gouramies, Blue Rams, Cardinals, and Otos in my planted tank.

Definitely have to suggest rehoming the black skirt. Tetras should be kept in bigger groups, and they're just too big for a 10g tank. That aside, my experience has been that black skirts like salad ;)

Hello pleechford,
There are a lot of really great species that do very well in a 10g planted tank. :) Unfortunately, skirt tetras and emerald corys are not among them. Both of those fish should really be housed in 20g minimum IMO. They are schooling fish and should be kept in a school to avoid stress and to see their full spectrum of behaviors.
I am also going to add that IMO, cardinals do not belong in 10g.
Here is a brief list of some nano fish that do well in a tank that size with plants: ember tetras, chili rasbora, microrasbora, sparkling gouramis, croaking gourami, betta, dwarf gourami, pygmy corys (pymgaeus, habrosus, hastotus), scarlet badis, guppies, platys, Asian stone catfish, black phantom tetra, and neons or green neons (these are not the same species). :)
Since you already have a few neons, I would suggest you re-home the emerald cory and the bst, get 3 more neons, and one of the suggested gouramis or else a couple of male guppies or a couple of platys. :) Also, nerite snails!

CleverBs said:
IMO for that size planted tank id get 6-7 cardinals and 2-3 otos. they bring out great color in tanks i LOVE them in mine and when I remove my kribs will be adding 10 more to have 19 of them. I keep Pearl Gouramies, Blue Rams, Cardinals, and Otos in my planted tank.

I had two gouramis but they tore up my Dwarf Hairgrass so I gave them back to the pet store. :x

absolutangel04 said:
Hello pleechford,
There are a lot of really great species that do very well in a 10g planted tank. :) Unfortunately, skirt tetras and emerald corys are not among them. Both of those fish should really be housed in 20g minimum IMO. They are schooling fish and should be kept in a school to avoid stress and to see their full spectrum of behaviors.
I am also going to add that IMO, cardinals do not belong in 10g.
Here is a brief list of some nano fish that do well in a tank that size with plants: ember tetras, chili rasbora, microrasbora, sparkling gouramis, croaking gourami, betta, dwarf gourami, pygmy corys (pymgaeus, habrosus, hastotus), scarlet badis, guppies, platys, Asian stone catfish, black phantom tetra, and neons or green neons (these are not the same species). :)
Since you already have a few neons, I would suggest you re-home the emerald cory and the bst, get 3 more neons, and one of the suggested gouramis or else a couple of male guppies or a couple of platys. :) Also, nerite snails!

Okay that sounds great!! Thank you for your help!!!

Can I suggest a school of celestial danio or galaxy rasbora as they were known. As far as I know theyre small and have wonderful colours.

leek86 said:
Can I suggest a school of celestial danio or galaxy rasbora as they were known. As far as I know theyre small and have wonderful colours.

I will definitely look into them! I am all about some tank beautification!

Back
Top Bottom