Ideal Temperature for Goldfish Setups...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osage_Winter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently seemed to have fallen prey to a misdiagnosis regarding one of my fancytails, thinking it had Ich, but now beginning to believe as it was suggested to me that it may in fact be signs of a growth spurt -- and so I have temporarily abandoned the heat treatment, instead bringing the temperature down a bit each day.

According to my Top Fin thermometer, the temperature of the water has seemed to stabilize in the green "safe zone" as indicated on the thermometer, but isn't this area specifically for tropicals? What would be the ideal temperature to keep my water at for the fancytail goldfish? I realize these are classified as "coldwater" but that doesn't mean they should be subjected to a frozen tundra...:eek:

I recently seemed to have fallen prey to a misdiagnosis regarding one of my fancytails, thinking it had Ich, but now beginning to believe as it was suggested to me that it may in fact be signs of a growth spurt -- and so I have temporarily abandoned the heat treatment, instead bringing the temperature down a bit each day.

According to my Top Fin thermometer, the temperature of the water has seemed to stabilize in the green "safe zone" as indicated on the thermometer, but isn't this area specifically for tropicals? What would be the ideal temperature to keep my water at for the fancytail goldfish? I realize these are classified as "coldwater" but that doesn't mean they should be subjected to a frozen tundra...:eek:

Can't speak specifically to the fancytails, but the optimal temperature for goldfish, which are simply a variety of carp is 32[FONT=+mn-ea]°[/FONT]C (~82[FONT=+mn-ea]°[/FONT]F).

Can't speak specifically to the fancytails, but the optimal temperature for goldfish, which are simply a variety of carp is 32[FONT=+mn-ea]°[/FONT]C (~82[FONT=+mn-ea]°[/FONT]F).

Thanks for the reply, Renegade!

Wow, 82? Really? That seems high for these so-called "cold water" fish...:confused:

Can anyone confirm that fancytails should be kept in 82 degree water?

Just keep it at room temperature. Goldfish thrive in tropical ponds, you should see them all in Bali. They also do well in ponds in more temperate climates. They are very adaptable.

Just be careful of sudden changes in temp.

Just keep it at room temperature. Goldfish thrive in tropical ponds, you should see them all in Bali. They also do well in ponds in more temperate climates. They are very adaptable.

Just be careful of sudden changes in temp.

Thank you, mattrox. I appreciate the response.

But are you sure this applies to the fancy variety of the species, as well? And when you said keep the tank at room temperature, should I just turn my heater OFF altogether? Don't try to maintain that "safe zone" that's indicated in green on my thermometer?

Again, thank you.

If you want the fish quite active over winter you can keep the temp in the green zone.

Heater off = less power bills though....

If you want the fish quite active over winter you can keep the temp in the green zone.

Heater off = less power bills though....

But I live in a desert climate in the Western section of the U.S.; we don't really get a "winter" with cold temperatures.

Do you still recommend keeping room temperature?

But if you are keeping any fish which need 'tropical temperatures' then you will need a heater.

Yes, I know this; I think that's why I am not going to return the heater to PetSmart, incase we switch to an all-tropical tank next.

You might want to get that heater back to the store becasue you might need a bigger heater in the end anyway.

Actually, the one we bought is for a tank my size; it's good for up to 65 gallons. ;)

What makes you think I'd need a bigger one?

So, it is agreed that fancy goldies should be kept at room temperature? Is there any harm in keeping the temp in that green "safe zone" as indicated on a thermometer?

If you got a bigger tank like a 100gal you would need a different heater

Oh, you mean based on other discussions we've had? I didn't mention going with a bigger thank in this thread...

We're planning on keeping the 60 gallon for awhile, at least until the three fancytails begin growing beyond this one...;)

If you are keeping tropical catfish from the other discussions then you will need the heater and to keep the temp in the green.

"Warmish" temperatures will not harm your goldfish.

If you are keeping tropical catfish from the other discussions then you will need the heater and to keep the temp in the green.

"Warmish" temperatures will not harm your goldfish.

Do all cats need warmer water?

Is that green "safe zone" designation meant for tropical species only on the commercially available thermometers?

If the green zone is 24 deg C to about 28 deg C then it is designed for tropicals.

Zebra Danios can be kept in cooler water.
Goldfish are classified "coldwater" but I know that they thrive in almost any temperature.
Hillstream loaches need cooler water.

So you really need to identify which fish you want and see if they are compatible.... fish temprament, water temperatures, water chemistry and diet are all considerations when deciding which fish to keep together.

If the green zone is 24 deg C to about 28 deg C then it is designed for tropicals.

I didn't check the Celcius scale, but it seems to be in the "70" degree range in that zone in Farenheit...

Zebra Danios can be kept in cooler water.
Goldfish are classified "coldwater" but I know that they thrive in almost any temperature.
Hillstream loaches need cooler water.

So you really need to identify which fish you want and see if they are compatible.... fish temprament, water temperatures, water chemistry and diet are all considerations when deciding which fish to keep together.

I understand. Just figured I would start by asking which cats would definitely get along with goldfish.

Pictus cats should leave them alone. Cories wouldn't bother them, otos and bristlenose would be compatible. These will require a heater for the times the temperature drops below 24 deg C .... whatever that converts to in F.

Hillstream loaches wouldn't need a heater, but you wouldn't want your water to stay warm for extended periods ... eg heat waves.

Research each fish type... google, books, forums etc and see what will work for you.

Back
Top Bottom