Ideal Water Parameters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hannibal the Bichir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone,
Today, I got the API Master test kit (a must). Here's what I got-
PH 8.1
Ammonia 0.1ppm
Nitrite 0.3 ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
I want to raise my Nitrate level and lower my nitrite. What are the most effective ways to deal with these, that are easy to control?
Additional comments-
My tap water has a super high PH to begin with. Also, the tank is quite stocked due to some new addtions from family members.

Hi everyone,
PH 8.1
Ammonia 0.1ppm
Nitrite 0.3 ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
I want to raise my Nitrate level and lower my nitrite. What are the most effective ways to deal with these, that are easy to control?
Additional comments-
My tap water has a super high PH to begin with. Also, the tank is quite stocked due to some new addtions from family members.

Hiya! Ideal Params are ph: steady is key! Ammo: 0 trItes: 0 trAtes: 10-20 :) water changes Are effective in lowering trItes& ammo, i believe i read plants help too :) good luck!

Hi everyone,
PH 8.1
Ammonia 0.1ppm
Nitrite 0.3 ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Additional comments-
Hi Hannibal, I'm a bit puzzled how you got those readings. The Ammonia and Nitrite readings are .25, .50, 1.0, 2.0 etc. Also having NO Nitrate is something I have never come across. I not experienced enough to say it's impossible but it is certainly unusual, especially as you say your 'quite stocked'???????

Yeah, my PH has always been high (probably since I live in the mountains). My African Cichlids love it haha. Anyways, I know my fish are adjusted to the PH, but I worry about plants. Im googling ways to raise my nitrate levels. I cant see how its zero, being lightly planted with lots of fish.

Watr Chemistry

Hi everyone,
PH 8.1
Ammonia 0.1ppm
Nitrite 0.3 ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Additional comments-

Hello Hann...

If you're not keeping and breeding rare fish species, the best way to deal with tap water is do nothing but change half of it every week. This act alone, will maintain stable water properties, because a week isn't enough time for nitrogen (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) to build up in the water, before it's time to change out the water again.

Most aquarium fish will adapt to most public water supplies. All you need to do is use a water treatment that removes ammonia, chlorine and chloramine. These are toxic to aquarium fish.

B

Yeah, my PH has always been high (probably since I live in the mountains). My African Cichlids love it haha. Anyways, I know my fish are adjusted to the PH, but I worry about plants. Im googling ways to raise my nitrate levels. I cant see how its zero, being lightly planted with lots of fish.

If its a new setup and you are showing ammonia & trItes it's probably because u are in the midst of your cycle :)

Back
Top Bottom