Ideas for a 100 gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JAKEPIN

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,

I set up a 100 gallon fowlr in June. So far, I've had a little bad luck, and I was wondering if anybody had a fowlr fish that can do the following

Hold its own with a humu humu trigger and puffer
Be economically friendly
Hardy fish ( I am a beginner to saltwater )
Will be able to live a full life in a 100 gallon
NO TANGS!!! I had a yellow tang that was killed in a fight with my blue tang.
Not too hard to find

I already have a blue hippo tang, humu humu trigger, and a porcupine puffer. So that obiously means no inverts or stuff like that. I have in mind a foxface lo, emperor angel, and perhaps a Niger trigger.Also, does anybody have any experience with a heniochus ? I am also considering one because my little nephew is obsessed with finding nemo and is already disappointed with me not getting a clownfish. I also quarantine all of my fish for at least a month..Any input will be great! Thanks all!

Personally I'm thinking you need to think about changing your current stock as it is. Always going to have aggression issues with a porc and a Picasso in a tank that size also I would say a blue tang needs at least a 6 to 8 foot tank to keep it happy. If you wish to keep these IMO I would leave the stock as it is so that as your fish grow they will at least have room to swim

My opinion is that you have too many pf the wrong type of fish. Ive had, at any given time, had one of every fish you mentioned short of the porc. Having one of these fish in a tank could be done (i have a niger trigger in my tank now thats a good citizen) but a porc, humu, and niger all in one are going to bully just about anyone. I also wouldnt look towards a henio unless your params are rock solid and your tank is mature and stable.

Im asking for ideas so i can make an accurate stock list for my tank. So niger trigger is off te list. Any other fish that anybody has in mind?

The Foxface should be able to hold its own...its tough with agressive triggers though. On any given day, they can snap and start going after other fish.

Ok. In thinking of going to a reef setup by trading in the trigger, but keeping the hippo and porcupine puffer. Will fish like pecerula clownfish be able to hold its own with it?

Depends on the fish. I have a blue jaw trigger that gets along fine in my community tank, including a pair of maroon clowns.

I've seen triggers destroy lion fish, but I've also seen them get along too. That's another option.

Hey guys, I bought a bicolor angel by trading in my humu humu. He attacked my blue tang and killed it and was starting to go for my porcupine puffer. I've done plenty of reaserch and my only question was what to feed him? I have a seaweed clip in and I plan to feed him what i fed my tang; mysis shrimp and emerald entree cubes. Should I add brine shrimp to the mix?

JAKEPIN said:
Hey guys, I bought a bicolor angel by trading in my humu humu. He attacked my blue tang and killed it and was starting to go for my porcupine puffer. I've done plenty of reaserch and my only question was what to feed him? I have a seaweed clip in and I plan to feed him what i fed my tang; mysis shrimp and emerald entree cubes. Should I add brine shrimp to the mix?

Emerald entree. Pe mysis, angel food. New life spectrum pellets, purple and green seaweed sheets

Ok. What about grinded up silversides that i feed my puffer?

Thats jist what my flame angel is fed. Granted she didnt take to the pellets at first, but now she eats like a hog

I believe silversides would be good, still want to keep the other variety as well. Also look into selcon (selcom maybe) its a food booster that you add to your food. I really feel this is the main reason why my fish are constant eaters

Back
Top Bottom