Ideas for above ground pond/aquarium...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hodge

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I am trying to plan an above ground pond that has two sides of acrylic glass for viewing... Anyone here ever try this idea ? Does anyone know of any good sites, to find detailed info on how to make fake boulders and rocks ?

I will try and post a drawing later, but it will be about 2500 gal, I want to have large boulders covering the back and have the acyrlic facing the front sides, almost a square shape with pond backing up to the corner walls fo my yard..

Fake boulders are made with a fiberglass pulp that is poured into a mould and then painted to look real. This is not something that you can just "make" like paper mache. This is an extremely expensive and difficult procedure. Believe me, if it were as easy as going to a website to build it..... the companies would be out of business....

So look for another alternative.....

Well i have heard quite different.. I have heard from several people that it is quite easy, just time consuming with the hardest part getting the rocks painted to look natural. My father in law designs landscaping for a large firm, when he first started in the business that what he did. However finding time to meet with him is near impossible..

thats sounds really cool what kind of fish do u plan on getting? i think some koi and some schooling rish in their in the summer would be nice too
(little schooling fish 2-4 inches long

I will put koi, a couple of small turtle and whatever else i could get by with.

I went to the home and garden show today. Talked with a guy who builds boulders and waterfalls. He gave me some ideas and knowledge. He said anyone can do it. He told me just to practice making a few boulders, then move on to the pond. He said it runs around .60 to .75 cent a square foot for materials and of course my labor.

Hodge, do you have pumps for your pond yet? If not, PM me I have a couple of 500 GPH Little Giant submersibles that are brand new and never used. I used to have a nice little pond in the back yard for a couple of years. About 1500 gallons. Then I replaced it with a 14,000 gallon pool. I like the pool better...LOL

Mike

Make your fake rocks and boulders out of styrofoam. You can cover it with concrete or sand and epoxy.

That what I was planning to do. Do you know of any good websites with info on that ?

how do you plan on anchoring the "boulders"? Most of the fiberglass boulders are excellent looking, yet heavy enough to not blow away... how do you plan on achieving this?

Well I think I am just going to go with rebar and cement... I still dont know how Im going to set up my pumps yet or what brands to buy...

Back
Top Bottom