Ideas for coral stocklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breezyrae

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all  just wondering if anyone could give me any ideas for some beginner coral or whatever to put in my 29 Biocube. Also if I put some sort of bubble tip nem, would it cause my clowns to get aggressive ? I don't wanna add it if that were the case, cuz my clowns are friendly. Thanx 

Any hammer, frogspawn or octospawn is good for beginners. Anemones won't make the clowns aggressive. They usually happens once they become sexually mature then they will become territorial.

best beginner corals are zoanthids, mushrooms, green star polyps. All hardy and inexpensive if you have a problem for some reason.

What light do you have? Clowns can get very aggressive when it comes to an anemone mine wasn't when it was hosting an acan but now with an anemone it gets a little nippy with me. Every fish is different and remember some host and some don't doesn't matter if is tank raised or not.

For a low light tank something like mushrooms. leathers and LPS like frogspawn. torch and acan. Zoas are a good choice as well. I would stay away from green star polyps, encrusting gorgonian, blue cloves, xenia and waving hand because they can over tank the tank.

Thanx all  I have the Biocube 29 with the stock lighting on it. I would really love to add some pretty stuff. And with all the googling and researching it has just left my brain on overload and confused more so than ever lol. I would like to keep whatever I get happy and healthy. If I wanted to upgrade my lighting, would I just switch out the bulbs that came with the cube ? Or how to mod that?

Zoas, palys, leathers, green star polyps are all great beginner corals. And there is a large color variation in the zoas (over 200+ types). There are also several types of leathers.

Thanx J yeah definitely want the color! Are these aggressive? Will they hurt eachother?

Breezyrae said:
Thanx J yeah definitely want the color! Are these aggressive? Will they hurt eachother?

Zoas are semi- agressive. But their sting is minimal. They easily reproduce. I have several rocks with multiple different zoas on them.

There are many websites out there that are nothing but zoanthid sellers. Check em all out

I definitely will! Ty so much ! So, if I do get them and other stuff, they won't hurt them to bad?

All corals are aggressive in some way shape or form. Zoas don't really have a strong sting but they excrete toxins in the water and be careful when you handle them make sure you wash your hands afterwards. You can have LPS with that light something like a ducan (which needs to be fed at least once a week) they are very pretty and adds a lot to the tank. A toadstool is another thing that would do great under your light and is easy. They have a slimy toxin that bothers other corals. Kenya tree is nice and easy some people have problems with them dropping branches but mine never does. They just get huge in my tank and I have to frag them.

joy13 said:
All corals are aggressive in some way shape or form. Zoas don't really have a strong sting but they excrete toxins in the water and be careful when you handle them make sure you wash your hands afterwards. You can have LPS with that light something like a ducan (which needs to be fed at least once a week) they are very pretty and adds a lot to the tank. A toadstool is another thing that would do great under your light and is easy. They have a slimy toxin that bothers other corals. Kenya tree is nice and easy some people have problems with them dropping branches but mine never does. They just get huge in my tank and I have to frag them.

Thanx joy for the explanation makes sense. Would any of it hurt the fish(zoas, etc ) ?

Good starter corals are

Mushroom coral
Xenia
Star polyps
Toadstools
Button polyps
These are all very easy to keep and don't need particularly bright lighting

Reef expert said:
Good starter corals are

Mushroom coral
Xenia
Star polyps