Ideas for fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerky

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so here is what I am looking for.

I have a 20 gallon high tank. I am looking for a good amount of movement in the tank and I want a schooling fish and then one centerpiece fish. I have a couple of live plants, looking to expand on that slowly.

Here is what i am looking for

10 Rasbora Heteromorpha
6 Otos
8-10 Ghost Shrimp
???? Centerpiece fish

Any idea? I was thinking a dwarf gourami but i read that moving schooling fish can stress them out, also i have a noise house with 3 young kids and I read that gouramis are sensitive to noise and can stress them out.

Any ideas?? Suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

I like to keep an open top and I read bettas like to jump. Is that true? I will look into Bolivian ram

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The Bolivian ram seems nice but I am not sure if I can find one where I live.

All fish have a chance of jumping, but top dwellers (Bettas, gouramis,danios) have a higher probability of jumping. You can also do German blue rams, but I would only recommend those if you have fish keeping experience.

Betta would be a nice centerpiece, or a bolivian ram or two

Betta is a complete hit or miss. Depends on its personality. I would say a dwarf gourami is fine. Mine was in a tank in my living room where the TV is played every afternoon. It never bothered him.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Hmm good options. Thanks. I think I am between a ram and gourami.

My problem is I don't trust my local pet shop. I am actually pretty happy with my local Petsmart. I know that they have Dwarf Gouramis but I am unsure about Rams. If they have Rams I will go with them. If not I may just get a single Dwarf Gourami and hopefully its not too stressed with the noise levels in my house. If the Dwarf Gourami does not work out, I may just go with a Ram online.

When I go to my PetSmart I observe ALL the fish in that tank. If one looks like it has a disease like Ich the others likely have it. It's good to pay close attention and quarantine the fish so you don't infect the rest of your tank.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Petsmart typically keeps the rams with the angelfish of you have trouble finding them. I'm lucky enough that my local Petsmart fish guy is a hardcore fishkeeper. He treats the tanks as his own and is very meticulous. Huge bonus to already having a couple of great LFS nearby.

Petsmart typically keeps the rams with the angelfish of you have trouble finding them. I'm lucky enough that my local Petsmart fish guy is a hardcore fishkeeper. He treats the tanks as his own and is very meticulous. Huge bonus to already having a couple of great LFS nearby.

Same my local petsmart and petco are like that, it's great!

Hmmm I really like the coloration of the German blue ram. I think I will try to get the new of those. So you think the rams will be okay with the fish I proposed?

Yeah I am only going to get 1. I may be a touch overstocked anyways.

Wow. My local pet smart has them and they looked great. Nice coloring. I really was thinking of getting one but I am not confident in my water yet. Went there to get a API master kit.

One other question what fish should I start with. I am going to go slow adding them. I was thinking of starting with the otos and shrimp first.

Personally I would do the Otos last. This give time for the tank to get a tad of algae and biofilm on it that they can graze on besides food you give.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Great. Just tested my water.

PH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20-40

I should be good to go right?

Back
Top Bottom