Ideas for new 10 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronBurr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, I'm doing my second tank now. Its a rather tall 10 gallon tank. I'd really like a very full looking tank of schooling fish (the more the better). I'd like to stay away from the neon tetra (they're in my other tank). The only fish I can think of that fit the bill are guppies and mollies. Any other ideas?

Also will fish of different species school together? (like would 3 guppies and 3 mollies school together?)

Thanks for all the help!

Hello all, I'm doing my second tank now. Its a rather tall 10 gallon tank. I'd really like a very full looking tank of schooling fish (the more the better). I'd like to stay away from the neon tetra (they're in my other tank). The only fish I can think of that fit the bill are guppies and mollies. Any other ideas?

Also will fish of different species school together? (like would 3 guppies and 3 mollies school together?)

Thanks for all the help!

Probably not with the guppies and mollies. They will however crossbreed making mutts.

I would suggest a small school of harlequin rasbora. They are beautiful fish that would work well in a 10.

What are the dimensions of this tank?

Mollies and guppies aren't really schooling fish. But there are TONS of fish that do school.

- harlequin rasbora
- tiger barb
- glow light tetra
- black neon tetra
- celestial pearl danio
- chili rasbora
- furcata blue eye
- gertrudae blue eye
- threadfin rainbow

And WAY more

Tank depth is 16 inches. Its a half cylinder style tank.

I really love the Threadfin Rainbowfish! Those fins are just gorgeous! Some quick search says max size of 1.5 inches. So I'm looking at roughly 5-6 in a tank? Do i need a larger fish to encourage schooling or will they naturally do it?

I also really like the Boraras brigittae. Those seem smaller and they are so brightly colored! Although my tap water is pretty hard so I'm not sure if they would be the best choice...

I was thinking of shrimp as my bottom feeders. Do they count towards my max occupancy for the tank? Will shrimp cause any concerns with either of the above fish?

Tank depth is 16 inches. Its a half cylinder style tank.

I really love the Threadfin Rainbowfish! Those fins are just gorgeous! Some quick search says max size of 1.5 inches. So I'm looking at roughly 5-6 in a tank? Do i need a larger fish to encourage schooling or will they naturally do it?

I also really like the Boraras brigittae. Those seem smaller and they are so brightly colored! Although my tap water is pretty hard so I'm not sure if they would be the best choice...

I was thinking of shrimp as my bottom feeders. Do they count towards my max occupancy for the tank? Will shrimp cause any concerns with either of the above fish?

They will do it naturally. I'd recommend 2 females to 1 male. It will bring out the best and most natural behavior out the males, who will flick their fins at one another (it's their way of showing dominance). 6 or more would be fine. I'd recommend 10 at the most with your tank size. A nice fish to have with them would be that of the Honey Dwarf Gourami, and they'd be fine with shrimp. Shrimp have a very low bioload too.

Thanks! Having a bunch is going to look so cool! Since I'm gonna guess this isn't something I can get a Petsmart, do you have any suggestions? Is this something a fish store is likely to have? Or would I have better luck online?

Thanks for all your help!

Thanks! Having a bunch is going to look so cool! Since I'm gonna guess this isn't something I can get a Petsmart, do you have any suggestions? Is this something a fish store is likely to have? Or would I have better luck online?

Thanks for all your help!

You're welcome! I got mine from a specially fish store that was just for fish. If you have a store like that around, maybe try that. I've never seen any at Petsmart before.

You may be able to get them at The Aquatic Arts, Bob's Tropical Plants, Consolidated Fish Farm or off Aquabid. Bluegrass Aquatics and Wetspot likely have them but look out for the price.

Back
Top Bottom