Ideas for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilmo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey folks this is my 25l fluval chi tank. Was wondering wat plants would look good. I plan on covering the plant pot with java moss. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Attachments

• image-3837646715.jpg
    image-3837646715.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 113
A couple of good, low-maintenance plants are the Amazon Sword and the White Arrowhead. I have one of each and they look awesome.

I'm not sure how powerful those built in LED's are, but I'm guessing they're probably not sufficient for anything more than maybe anubias and java moss. Amazon sword would definitely be out of the question, even if the lights would support it. This is a ~6 gallon tank? Amazon swords outgrow 29g tanks, definitely not something you want in a tiny tank like this.

Well I don't know how many watts they are but in the pic that's without the room light on. Av still got alot of work with it likes. Cheers folks

+1 On Amazon Swords out growing your tank. I'd highly suggest getting some Anubias nana. Java fern is another option.

Just googled Anubias nana. And I like the look of them. But I dont know if my local pet shop sells them because I went today for java moss and they didn't even have that. 

It's not a real aquatic plant. Look it up at plantgeeks and it pops up as such. They die, rot and foul the tank.

My local Petco sells mini bamboo as aqautic but only the stalk can be submerged, leaves will rot. Unfortunately it's a common pactice.

At plantgeeks, they're so good they have a page on plants NOT to buy for aquariums.

Have fun! Aqua farming is fun :).

Sent from my Epic 4G

Look up the non-aquatic plant list on plantgeeks. It'll save you some money and a lot of frustration.

+1 on being careful when you buy plants from somewhere like Petco or Petsmart. Both often sell "aquatic plants" in plastic tube containers and while some are actually aquatic, many of them are not. Out of all of the packaged plants at my local Petsmart, I think only a small handful are for aquarium use: sword, java fern, and anubias nana. Both of the Petcos near me sell a small selection of potted and loose plants. I just recently set up a 10 gallon and bought a large pot of Anubias nana from the one Petco to put in it for about $5-6.

It's not a real aquatic plant. Look it up at plantgeeks and it pops up as such. They die, rot and foul the tank.

My local Petco sells mini bamboo as aqautic but only the stalk can be submerged, leaves will rot. Unfortunately it's a common pactice.

At plantgeeks, they're so good they have a page on plants NOT to buy for aquariums.

Have fun! Aqua farming is fun :).

Sent from my Epic 4G

When you say that the stalk can be submerged but leaves rot, does this apply to the white arrowhead as well? I've noticed that, as you said, the submerged leaves are rotting, but the ones at the surface and above the surface of the water are doing just fine.

Bottom line, if I prune submerged and rotting leaves, will the rest of the plant be okay or will the whole thing die anyway?

CoyoteWilfdire said:
When you say that the stalk can be submerged but leaves rot, does this apply to the white arrowhead as well? I've noticed that, as you said, the submerged leaves are rotting, but the ones at the surface and above the surface of the water are doing just fine.

Bottom line, if I prune submerged and rotting leaves, will the rest of the plant be okay or will the whole thing die anyway?

Hard to say, but cut out the submerged leaves and see how it does. There are many plants that do just fine with roots and even stems in water, just not the leaves. Best advice I can give is research it (did you go to plantgeek.com?) and see what you can find out about it.

Rotting leaves, etc cause harmful spikes in tanks. I trim any one of my plants (true aquatics) if I see any die off.

Sent from my Epic 4G

I grow all kinds of crypts in ridiculously low light with no fertz. I have a 3 gallon cube I have to trim regularly and it only has that phony little light that came with it. You might want to check out that family of plants. Crypts come in many sizes and colors and are hard to beat.

Hard to say, but cut out the submerged leaves and see how it does. There are many plants that do just fine with roots and even stems in water, just not the leaves. Best advice I can give is research it (did you go to plantgeek.com?) and see what you can find out about it.

Rotting leaves, etc cause harmful spikes in tanks. I trim any one of my plants (true aquatics) if I see any die off.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Yeah, I did and as you can see, there's not much to be said of it besides it will rot and die.

PlantGeek.net - Syngonium podophyllum v. 'White Butterfly'

I'll trim off any submerged leaves and see how the rest do.

Thanks guys. Am still undecided. Defo getting some java if I can get it in the little crappy town I live in. Lol

Back
Top Bottom