Ideas for rest of fish stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoppingtetra30

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been using AqAdvisor to figure out my stock and I'm getting nearly full. I have an idea of what I might want, but I'd like some other options to consider for the heck of it. Right now I have:

5 Lemon Tetras
5 Red Zebra Danios
5 Glass Catfish (well, 4 at the moment, one vanished but will be replaced)
5 False Julii Corys
5 Otos
2 Siamese Algae Eaters (real ones)

I will for sure be adding 1 Albino Bushy Nose Pleco.

This puts my stock level at about 70% (full grown).

I was thinking I would use the remainder of my space for 5 Denisoni Barbs and that would put me at 98%...but Im open to other options for the last 30%.

So, what are your favorites that would go well in my friendly community tank? Its a 75 gallon, so 4 feet long. PH is neutral, temps are a little lower to accommodate the Danios at 74-75ish degrees. Heavily planted. I like active, colorful fish.

I actually really wanted Boesemani Rainbows as well but Ive read they dont like temps that low.

Dojo loach! :) I have mine in a 75g planted and he couldn't be happier. Bright coloration and ALWAYS roaming the tank for food. He does dig though (in search of food) so little plants like pogo and star Repens may get uprooted if not fully established.

He eats straight out of my hand. Best fish I ever owned. He is a cold water fish but can tolerate 75 degrees just fine. Here's my adult one In his 75g home:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431685386.293243.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431685441.640408.jpg

Caleb

A group of 3-5 hoplo catfish which are social. Maybe a type of pleco whichever type you like as there are so many to choose from, its more to do with what's available from them around you.

The roselines(P Denison) are great fish!

Ya they are a really nice looking fish. They have a group of fully grown ones in a show tank at my LFS and I really like them...thats what made me want them. In fact thats why I ended up with a couple of my fish....I really like their setup and they all go so well together.

Dojo loach! :) I have mine in a 75g planted and he couldn't be happier. Bright coloration and ALWAYS roaming the tank for food. He does dig though (in search of food) so little plants like pogo and star Repens may get uprooted if not fully established.

He eats straight out of my hand. Best fish I ever owned. He is a cold water fish but can tolerate 75 degrees just fine. Here's my adult one In his 75g home:

View attachment 272287
View attachment 272288

Caleb

That is SUPER cool looking! My kids and I were actually really interested in the Kuhlii Loach they had at the LFS but I didnt want a nocturnal fish and they seem to like high temps. This one seems like it could fit the bill perfectly.

I'd only need one of those I guess to keep it happy? That would leave me some room for something else as well. Im also considering getting more of some of the ones I have already...

A group of 3-5 hoplo catfish which are social. Maybe a type of pleco whichever type you like as there are so many to choose from, its more to do with what's available from them around you.

I already have Cory cats, and Glass Cats, so Im thinking Im good for Cats (though I know there is so many different ones). I'll be getting an Albino Bushynose Pleco for sure...me and the kids love plecos!

Dojos enjoy groups like most other loaches but he's been just fine on his own for 9 months. I have a baby dojo in another tank growing out and will be added to the big tank eventually :)

Caleb

Peacock gudgeons! Peaceful, colorful, good-sized, and they occupy the middle to lower half of the tank.

img_3222847_0_f132d5990e848863523edc3a585e4fa7.jpg

img_3222847_1_d64ad5f88fe02d59cb2078d13db8396c.jpg

Peacock gudgeons! Peaceful, colorful, good-sized, and they occupy the middle to lower half of the tank.

img_3222850_0_f132d5990e848863523edc3a585e4fa7.jpg

img_3222850_1_d64ad5f88fe02d59cb2078d13db8396c.jpg

Those are also very nice! I've never seen them for sale in any store here but I can ask about them.

Thanks!

Those are also very nice! I've never seen them for sale in any store here but I can ask about them.

Thanks!
Clayman has bred the gudgeons and may be ready to ship soon?
I have 12 roselines in my 180 and they are very hardy,friendly and versatile as mine have been in the 80's for the last 5 years.

Well she's pretty much full up now. Went to the LFS with my wife and she loved the Diamond Tetras so we got 5, and I found out the Dwarf Rainbows can go to a lower temp so I got those. Then 5 more Red Zebras just because they're awesome :).

Well she's pretty much full up now. Went to the LFS with my wife and she loved the Diamond Tetras so we got 5, and I found out the Dwarf Rainbows can go to a lower temp so I got those. Then 5 more Red Zebras just because they're awesome :).

Omg never add so many fish at once! It's recommended to only add a few fish at once so the bio load doesn't blow up.

Watch out with the diamond tetras. Sometimes they will nip fins of other fish like crazy.

Omg never add so many fish at once! It's recommended to only add a few fish at once so the bio load doesn't blow up.

Watch out with the diamond tetras. Sometimes they will nip fins of other fish like crazy.

Im not too worried about having so many in at once...its a 75 gallon, very heavily planted and over filtered. I haven't had a trace of ammonia when Ive ever added anything. I would personally like to add less at a time, but these fish were all the last ones...my wife was insistent :).

I'll keep an eye on the Diamonds. They seem very happy at the moment...actually the Diamonds and the Rainbows seem inseparable; its quite odd watching them school together.

I'm going to push back on the dojo loach idea.... they are coldwater fish and higher temperatures can significantly decrease their lifespan. Kuhlis are fun and very similar to dojos as an alternative. They're very active if they have enough hiding places and friendly tankmates- we see ours out in the open all the time.

Oh, and Denison barbs are an endangered species so i would steer clear of those if you can't be sure they're tank-raised.

Last edited:
Well, the Diamonds are heading back to the LFS. Every feeding time they are super aggressive and bully the other fish (even though there's plenty of food). My Glass Cats were venturing out for food, but now they wont come out at all. Last night one of my Danios got eaten...I can only assume it was the Diamond Tetra...nothing else is showing any signs of aggression. I've been hearing a lot of splashing at night...the Danios hover around the top of the tank...I bet its the Diamonds jumping up at them.

Well after watching them this morning I wonder if maybe the Danios took out one of the new ones. They have been very aggressive towards each other today and the 5 new ones were quite a bit smaller. The Diamonds only seem aggressive at feeding time...

Everything seems to be settled now. Diamonds are happy and not too pushy and still schooling with the Rainbows. Danios have calmed down. Im thinking maybe they killed the little Danio while re-establishing their hierarchy.

Im loving the Rainbows especially. They are so friendly and nice looking!

Back
Top Bottom