Ideas for tank background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm re doing my tank and I actually want a really good back ground for my tank any ideas or pictures are awesome
Cheers

Fair enough, last time I used thistles string light fabric same idea really, it's black.
I might stick to that iv heard fish like dark backgrounds

You could get a background from petco. I got my seascape background for ten dollars.

The last owner who had the tank painted it blue and it looked horrible! Iv managed to get it all off but personly I think it would be unfair if I pass it on to someone else and they don't like it.
I'm going to have sand and slate in the tank so I could look at DIY shops for something that looks like slate but obvious not real

I've always wanted to try an idea I had~~ I was thinking about taking some of that textured spraypaint stuff and doing a real light, uneven spray on the back, then paint a few coats of a stone/slate colored paint on top of that. I always wondered what it would look like. Just an idea.

Yeah that sounds pretty good and I like the idea of it but as I said if I give the tank to someone else (in like 10 years or something) they might not like it

Banana mouse said:
Yeah that sounds pretty good and I like the idea of it but as I said if I give the tank to someone else (in like 10 years or something) they might not like it

Yes that's true. But in my opinion, its your tank NOW, this is your hobby, so do what you want to make it how YOU like it. Someone will want it. It may sound selfish but that's my view. If its my tank then I want it how I like it lol.

I had a planted tank once with a home made background created by a collage plant pictures from fish magazines. You couldn't tell where the plants ended and picture started.

Iv decided to go with a black background I'll post a picture tomorrow or something, I need to get my filter going :)

What does it say in the back?

paytertot said:
Yes that's true. But in my opinion, its your tank NOW, this is your hobby, so do what you want to make it how YOU like it. Someone will want it. It may sound selfish but that's my view. If its my tank then I want it how I like it lol.

Yes very very true but over the years this tank has been used for so many different things from Marin fish to yellow belly turtles to bearded dragons and so on. so yeah I could do that i want to, probably when I'm older it might turn back into a tank for my bearded dragon again so I need to think about him to :p

That sounds like a pretty good quote :)
The tank might look a little bear at first but I'll post another picture when it's complete
Thank you

Our local fish store sells a background that looks like stone. It's like a bendable plastic but clips on to the back and I believe inside the tank. It's expensive however I found a place online that sells them fairly cheap in comparison. I will find the link if you are interested. They had a lot to choose from and the background is made for tanks or walls safe for both saltwater and fresh.

Yeah I think I know what you mean, if you post a link I'll look but it might be pretty expensive as my tank is 53 inches long

Spray painted the back glass black on the outside of the tank.

ForumRunner_20120709_155044.jpg

As for worries that you may have trouble selling it later, it is easy to scrape paint off of glass with a razor blade. Here's my latest painted tank

View attachment 105545

Ignore the reflection of the window, lol.

Back
Top Bottom