Idendify this plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scooby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
Can anyone out there identify the plant in this pic? The tall leafy one...it is growing fast with a new leaf starting every two to three days. I am thinking I should remove the bottom smaller leaves to allow the longer ones to grow better?

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/dave_cool@prodigy.net

55 Gal Community/planted
Shultz Profile Substrate
10 Zebra Danios
4 Silver Mollies
2 Tiger Barbs
1 Green Tiger Barb
2 Clown Loaches
1 YoYo Loach
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Bristle Nose Pl*co
3 Head/Tail light Tetras

I think you forgot to attach the pic. Either that, or I just don't see it on this computer.

Is it? I was thinking ruffled sword. How does one tell the diff?

From how fast it grows and looking at the picture I would guess it's an Aponogenton of some sort. Does it have a bulb?

Either Crypt or Apon, I would say the same thing. Don't remove leaves until they are dead. If they are green, they are helping the plant produce energy. When they begin to die, then remove them. Once a plant of this type has become well established (a few months, IMO) then you can selectivley prune for shape and aesthetics. Before then, let it grow as it pleases to become healthy and strong.

This is just my own theory, but I have nursed some pretty sickly looking specimens to full health this way, and can now prune them to look they way I want.

No bulb, just roots. The bulb wouldn't deteriorate after the roots are established? Now I'm getting a black fuzzy growth on it. :x
I had a bad case of black hair algae(not sure if that's the correct name) and since then have torn down the tank and rebuilt it with Profile instead of gravel and am using a combination of tap water and RO water to reduce both hardness and PH. The drift wood I caught while fishing at Seneca Lake.
No CO2 yet...........maybe someday :?:

Dave

Back
Top Bottom