Identification Help - Damselfly? Snail? Demon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeemsFishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a visitor that I cannot figure out -- found it at the bottom of a sand substrate fw tank. It looks like it might be a larve of something but in a straight, conelike, translucent tube that looks just like a piece of plant stem. It will will wriggle (like spinning or vibrating) and will stick out a head and like 4ish antenna looking things. When moved, it recoils into the tub thing. I thought there was only 1, but this morning found 2 more smaller ones so now I need to know. Its insides kind of look like a damselfy but its in this weird cone thing.

So, what is it, can it hurt the frogs or become dangerous, and if problematic what are your ideas for removal?

Tank info: I have a newer (~5 weeks) 20g tank that is hours from being fully cycled (0A, overnight NI stayed at .25, 40 Na). Due to an emergency, I had to finish cycling (after the ammonia to nitrite phase was strong) with my 4 frogs in, no other occupants. (Yes, I monitored extremely closely, api tested multiple times a day, did 1-2 50% wc a day to keep levels below 1ppm, and dosed with Prime as needed; frogs never showed any adverse reactions or stress and appear to be thriving quite well).

It has a sand substrate. I added plants from online from a highly reviewed source. They're are doing ok, but I removed the hornwort that shed a ton and made the daily maintenance difficult. All that's left are 3 huge morimo balls, about 6 large anachris plants that are pitiful looking on the bottom but new shoots are bright green, and about 6 hemigraphia babies with roots that are taking off. Low tech, no co2, and PH has been low around 6.6-6.8.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210312-134131_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210312-134131_Gallery.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20210312-134145_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210312-134145_Gallery.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 24
I don't keep snails or live plants, so I'm really just guessing from the million posts on here about it, but it might be snail larvae that hitched in on the plants

Thanks! I though maybe snail, but it looked a little caterpillary inside and has the weird antenna/ant leg lookin' things

This reminds me of the time I brilliantly brought in an oak branch and boiled, cleaned, boiled, dried in sun, boiled, and otherwise safely disinfected it from nature so I could save money from buying expensive spider wood in a shop. Three days later someone said "What are those vibrating little antenna-ish head things wiggling around all over the place?" Before you could spin your head around three times and say "infestation" I had a swarm of freshly hatched mosquitos in my house. Cut to next scene: me shelling out $$ for trendy spider wood accessory.

Back
Top Bottom