Identification of "thing"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin-Addict

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright this "thing" is seriously freaking me out! I first saw it about 2 months ago when my tank had a gravel bottom. After I cleaned out the tank and went bottomless, I thought it was gone. Last night I noticed it at the bottom of my red bowl (the very bottom). Now today, it is up towards the top of the bowl. It is moving! I looked other places in the tank and I can see more of it in both of the filters. Like a web all over the filter media and the intake, I don't know what it is but I want it out of the tank!

Do I have to scrap everything in the tank to get rid of it? that would mean re cycling the tank! Oh my please give me suggestions.

alive2.jpg

alivecu2.jpg

Water Test Readings:
-Ammonia= 0
-NitrIte= 0
-NitrAte= 20
-pH= 7.6
-KH= ??
-GH=??
-Water Temperature:74
-Tank size= 60gal
-Filtration (Make, and GPH) AC 110 Penguin 350
-Is there gravel/sand/rocks in the tank? If so how deep? none
-Tank Inhabitants (How many, how big?):8 goldies range from 2" - 4" (not including tails)
-How long the tank has been set up: 3 months
-Frequency and amount of routine water changes: 50% once a week
-What you feed them, how much, & how often: gel food every day then peas, bloodworms, broccoli, oranges as treats
-City or well water: city
-Water conditioner used: Prime
-any extras (i.e.; air pumps, and air stones?) 4" air stone
-New fish or plants added to the tank? What type and when? Were they quarantined?: none
-Medications used: none
-Describe the problems you are seeing: spider webby thing taking over tank and it moves!.

This "Thing" is still moving. This morning I found it 'inside' the bowl with one of it's evil spiderweb arms peering out from under the rocks. If it were a plant, it would grow and spread... this 'thing' moves from one place to another. There are still several other (smaller) ones in the tank too. mostly in the filters.

I have seen less scarey things in a Creepshow movie

Does anyone think that Prazi would kill it? :2gunfire:

I really do not want to go through another cycle :cry:

I'm no freshie, but it looks like a root system...

When you say it moves, do you mean it grows or it physically changes location completely?

It physically moves from one place to another. if I see it on the side of the bowl and come back to look in an hour or so, it will be inside the bowl. Then a few hours later it will be on the side of the bowl again. Then the next morning it will be on the window. It does not spread, it does not grow, it moves.

I wouldn't be so freaked out except the fact that it does move!

My game plan is to remove all fish to a temporary tank, remove all bowls and rocks, trash all filter media (it is in there too) put plants back into tank and dose the **** out of it with potassium permanganate. Then I will empty tank and do a thorough cleaning. I will refill and add filter media from one of my unaffected tanks and start recycling. I hope my plnats make it through the PP but I will take what I can get.

If anyone comes across this thread at any time and has a clue of what it is, please let me know. Even if I get rid of it, I would like to know what it was,

I think I just need to keep the tank cleaner. I do 50% water changes every 7-10 days, but I have been neglecting the algae and vacuuming the bowls. I think that is what is feeding the mold. I am sooo happy that I don't have to recycle!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom