Identify Plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noelllll

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just picked up this plant at the fish store but completely forgot what he said the name was. Was told to just let it float at the top of the tank but I see some roots and was wondering if I could make it grow in the ground?

Attachments

• newPlant.jpg
    newPlant.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 118
Might be some Hornwart? Look up Hornwart and see if it matches

Hm looks kind of similar but the guy at the store told me to leave it on the surface and not plant it in the ground. That was going to be my next question what would happen if I did plant it.

Looks Like Myfrio Filligree

This is commonly sold as "Frill" at your LFS.

If you plant it now, the bottom may start to die off. A lot of people just pinch the bottom "stemmy" portions off and replant the tops. I stick the stemmy portion in the substrate and often it grows new plants. I mix mine with Cabomba (and replant the same way). Needs a decent amount of light to grow and that is likely why LFS guy told you to let it float. You can plant it now, or, if it floats for a week or two it may grow roots for you (roots could start growing well above the base --- similar to how anacharis grows).

This is commonly sold as "Frill" at your LFS.

If you plant it now, the bottom may start to die off. A lot of people just pinch the bottom "stemmy" portions off and replant the tops. I stick the stemmy portion in the substrate and often it grows new plants. I mix mine with Cabomba (and replant the same way). Needs a decent amount of light to grow and that is likely why LFS guy told you to let it float. You can plant it now, or, if it floats for a week or two it may grow roots for you (roots could start growing well above the base --- similar to how anacharis grows).

I think I might have seen a part of it that looked like roots earlier. I'll double check that and if it is just stick that in the gravel and hope it grows?

You can do that --- needs decent light

Go ahead and plant roots if you like...This plant is really an invasive weed in the southeastern U.S., but makes for a nice aquarium plant. It does need a decent amount of light (~2 watts/gallon). As it grows, just pinch off rooted parts and replant. I plant the "stemmy" portions horizontally and occasionally new plants emerge. You can let it float for a few days and it may grow faster when you do plant it.

Go ahead and plant roots if you like...This plant is really an invasive weed in the southeastern U.S., but makes for a nice aquarium plant. It does need a decent amount of light (~2 watts/gallon). As it grows, just pinch off rooted parts and replant. I plant the "stemmy" portions horizontally and occasionally new plants emerge. You can let it float for a few days and it may grow faster when you do plant it.

Okay I planted one of the plants that has roots do you think it will just continue growing tall? I don't know how many watts my light has though. I attached a picture of the plant and the light that I have. Thanks!

Attachments

• plant.jpg
    plant.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 59
  • light.jpg
    light.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 60
Okay I planted one of the plants that has roots do you think it will just continue growing tall? I don't know how many watts my light has though. I attached a picture of the plant and the light that I have. Thanks!

I believe that bulb is 15watts and it's about 5200k I had the same bulb and I did research trying to figure out what it was

I bought one of those packages of plant bulbs that comes with like 7 bulbs instead of 4 like the package claims, and I have this plant growing I didn't think it was the one they show on the package. ...I was thinking it might have been aponogeton ..(scientific name I guess is aponogeton ulvaceus) but This is what it looks like

There's a long stem that grew up out of it. it's now above my water line and it looks like it may bloom something, it has like white buds on top.. I'm excited if it grows flowers or something cool I don't think it's a water lily cause the lily cause they lily was a big bulb and it was a water lily that came with it from the searches I did the lily wont be growing any thing on top of the water :(

Attachments

• image-2175642057.jpg
    image-2175642057.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 49
  • image-2645459100.jpg
    image-2645459100.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 48
Oh and those bulbs are crazy fast at growing I don't have dirt in my tank just the gravel and all my plants seem to be doing well apparently they are guaranteed to grow in 30 days it's only been 25 days and 3/7 are pretty much fully grown or atleast tall... The water Lilly still has a while to become fully grown or else that would be 4/7 bulbs 3 did not grow yet ..

Back
Top Bottom