Identify this snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill302

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please, can someone identify the black and white snail in the pic I have a lot of them in my tank and I never added them..had the tank a year and just noticed them in the last 2 months....

Attachments

• tn_PICT1893.jpg
    tn_PICT1893.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 130
I'm not too sure but it looks cool!!! I've been noticing some baby snails in my tank lately, I'm excited about that!

Sent from my LG-P769 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The conical one appears to be a cerith species. They typically readily reproduce in the aquarium setting.

It isn't a nerite and they won't produce in the aquarium (lay eggs all over but that is it).

I don't think it is a cerith or a nerite. Nerites have a more rounded shell from what I've seen, and cerith snails have a much more black pattern. It kind of reminds me of a cone snail, except the shell opening on a cone snail is from the side. And you probably would've lost a few inverts or small fish by now also (cone snails are venomous and only eat live foods, and will sting you too). If it's not bothering anything, then don't bother it for now IMO.

This is the cone snail that it resembles. I don't think that it is this, because I can't imagine there being enough worms in your tank for them to breed rapidly and eat. Worms are this particular types' main food. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388688195.057088.jpg

I don't usually mess with this sort of stuff but I should have included pictures initially.... it still appears to be a cerith species. Colors vary broadly within same species, never mind different species. Top photo some Florida species, then c. punctatum, and then a link to some others.

Cerithiidae pictures

Back
Top Bottom