Ids! Please any thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loureed

Aquarium Advice Regular
Had a friend , who got in over her head with cichlids brought me a tank full to take in. I was hoping to Id them to see if they are compatible and to see which ones I can keep. Here goes. I'm almost positive the red guy is a jewel. As for the blue guy , the yellow (lab maybe) and the multicolor guy I'm still unsure. I'm pretty sure they are all African. Any thoughts would be helpful, I just don't know if they are all safe together.

Attachments

• image-2006611114.jpg
    image-2006611114.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 102
  • image-1784077209.jpg
    image-1784077209.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 100
  • image-3210484731.jpg
    image-3210484731.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 91
  • image-2388620640.jpg
    image-2388620640.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 100
Loureed said:
Had a friend , who got in over her head with cichlids brought me a tank full to take in. I was hoping to Id them to see if they are compatible and to see which ones I can keep. Here goes. I'm almost positive the red guy is a jewel. As for the blue guy , the yellow (lab maybe) and the multicolor guy I'm still unsure. I'm pretty sure they are all African. Any thoughts would be helpful, I just don't know if they are all safe together.

1. Aulonocara Regina - Red Jake
4. Yellow Lab

Here are a few better photos :)
1: the little blue guys
2: the bigger blue guy
3: and 4: the red jake?
5: the yellow lab :)

Thank you for the Ids guys! :) if anyone has any ideas on the blue guys let me know :) try to I'd them from google has been unhelpful:( the big blue guy and the red jewel are the most aggressive ( just tag no nipping) the red jake seems really timid is that typical?

Attachments

• image-259479306.jpg
    image-259479306.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2391854176.jpg
    image-2391854176.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3626739580.jpg
    image-3626739580.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 89
  • image-2756431196.jpg
    image-2756431196.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image-3387232256.jpg
    image-3387232256.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 76
Sorry to reply to my own thread twice, but thanks to the Ids I have narrowed down my lab to a lions cove II variety and I am just excited about the red jake! Since they are both Malawi related they should be good together, but I'm still worried the red jewel maybe too aggressive? And the other blue fellows I still haven't id ed. Thank you again for the help with the others, the more I read about these cichlids the more I'm happy she gave them to me ;)

Loureed said:
Sorry to reply to my own thread twice, but thanks to the Ids I have narrowed down my lab to a lions cove II variety and I am just excited about the red jake! Since they are both Malawi related they should be good together, but I'm still worried the red jewel maybe too aggressive? And the other blue fellows I still haven't id ed. Thank you again for the help with the others, the more I read about these cichlids the more I'm happy she gave them to me ;)

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong but if I had to take a stab at them I'd say the little blue guy is a demasoni and the big guy is a blue dolphin.

I think the little blue guy is a kenyi.
Your right with jewel and yellow lab and I think the one with the red body and blue head is a German red peacock.

I'm pretty sure your right about the little guy being a kenyi. The big blue guy doesn't look like he's forming the bump on his head so not sure if is a dolphin but it would be sweet if it actually was ;) he has actually become rediculously mean to his tank mates over the past few hours and I'm fairly concerned. The guy with the blue head and sunset colored body ( that's the only way I can describe the color it's orangish pinkish goldish) his stripes are white to silver and the darker stripes are a bluefish grey. I asked my friend if they told her anything at the lfs about him she said he was labeled a sunset cichlid but she can be pretty spacey about these kinds of things. Thanks for all the ideas and I'll keep looking, I'm pretty sure I'll remove the big blue guy, he is just being mean and the rest of the tank is very docile. In fact the jewel cichlid and the sunset guy are pretty much in love they do everything together :)

It's not sunset it's sunshine peacock I've had them before and they're very placid fish along with the German red peacock.Your yellow lab is mild to aggressive.As jewels mature they can be aggressive but a lone jewel is usually pretty placid.I don't think you have a dolphin there which is probably just As well as they get big like 8-10".You have a pretty reasonable mix of fish if a little erratic (ie mbuna,peacocks and jewels)

garfy said:
It's not sunset it's sunshine peacock I've had them before and they're very placid fish along with the German red peacock.Your yellow lab is mild to aggressive.As jewels mature they can be aggressive but a lone jewel is usually pretty placid.I don't think you have a dolphin there which is probably just As well as they get big like 8-10".You have a pretty reasonable mix of fish if a little erratic (ie mbuna,peacocks and jewels)

That's good news! Thank you! I really just wanted to give these little guys the best chance they can get. I took the tank from her after discovering she had no heater, and was feeding them goldfish flakes. :( I've had them a few days and have fed them like kings and they seem to be coming back around. The big blue guy looks similar to the little blue guys but not the same an he is way to aggressive. I'll moving them up to a bigger tank in a few weeks, is the sunshine, red jewel, the lab and the two little blue dudes enough fish for a 55? Any other ideas to make this a happy little tank? Thanks again!

garfy said:
What size is your tank by the way?

Sorry it's a 30 gallon currently but am moving them to a 55 in a few weeks.

Loureed said:
Sorry it's a 30 gallon currently but am moving them to a 55 in a few weeks.

Is this the same 30 gallon as the one with the parrot and the jack dempsey?

TheGrza said:
Is this the same 30 gallon as the one with the parrot and the jack dempsey?

No. Never. Even the guys at the lfs told me to never mix Africans with Americans. I have a 30 gallon for my JD and parrot as well as a 30 for my inherited Africans. I got my first 55 up and start cycling at 8 when my fiancé comes home ( he loves messing with the chems ;)) all three are in my living room. My mom bought me a 55 for my spare bedroom and that will be added in a few weeks. That will be for the Africans:) hopefully I'll be able to use the 30s to start my first saltwater after all that ;) I appreciate the concern, I know there are a lot of newbies you come across who aren't into the actual fish just the having of them, but I am learning all I can :)

The 1st pic in your second set of pics is for sure a female kenyi. With the vertical stripes light and dark. I have one that looks just like it. Not too sure about the others

Can any one identify the second picture of the second set? I'm pretty excited for the Ids you guys have made ! These are all turning out to be phenomenal species!

I returned big blue and got a small blue female acei. The fish all seem to be getting along fine. I rearranged the tank and cleaned up a bit :)

So i think this is the final count?
Yellow lab, 2 small blue kenyi, 1 sunshine peacock, a blue acei and a red jewel.

Thanks everyone for all the Ids and help! I'm excited for this tank!

Back
Top Bottom