Illness only touching mollies !?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sabrinarichard

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have ich, but only on my mollies ?!? How come it only touches them.. Weird..
I don't think I can salt so I put the temp up,
I have cardinal tetras,
Neon tetras
Black neon tetras
Denesoni barbs
Kribs
Cory's
Danios
Platies
Apple snail
Peruvian snail
And a pleco
Any other advice ? My qt has tons of fry in it.. :/
Edit: all my stats are good.. I added a bad batch of Cory's, only half of the 4 survived.. I'm so not dealing with that store anymore.. Grrrr not the first time..

I've had that as well where ich will only show up on certain schools of fish. Won't even see any flashing. I can only assume they fight it off somehow.

this happened to me before. apparently your other fish aren't stress, have a better immune system, and are comfortable in their tank.... unlike the mollies. is there a fish that is bothering the mollies or if they are sparring with each other? or did you just get the mollies because they can carry ich from the pet store ands this will be a whole different story.

Your Mollies

So I have ich, but only on my mollies ?!? How come it only touches them.. Weird..
I don't think I can salt so I put the temp up,
I have cardinal tetras,
Neon tetras
Black neon tetras
Denesoni barbs
Kribs
Cory's
Danios
Platies
Apple snail
Peruvian snail
And a pleco
Any other advice ? My qt has tons of fry in it.. :/
Edit: all my stats are good.. I added a bad batch of Cory's, only half of the 4 survived.. I'm so not dealing with that store anymore.. Grrrr not the first time..

Hello Sab...

Something has obviously stressed your Mollies and this has weakened them to the point a parasite has possibly infected them. 99.9 percent of tank problems are water related. Mollies require near pure water conditions. This means removing and replacing half the tank water weekly. A bonus for the other fish that don't necessarily require it, but thrive in these water conditions. Mollies are also pickier about their food than other Livebearers.

Aquarium fish are tiny with tinier stomachs. It doesn't take much to sustain them. I feed a little variety roughly every three days. Mostly frozen from San Fran Bay, a little freeze dried from Hikari or Tetra and a little flaked from Cobalt. All good products.

B

The mollies aren't new, they were actually some of my first fish :) I don't know what could of happened to stress them out, but I was du for my weekly water changer, I'll just make it bigger... I feed them a mix of pellets, flakes, bloodworms and spinach, and they arn't shy eaters in my tank (I feed about every 2 days in my community tank) :p I find that so weird no other fish in the tanks has any signs.. I so hope it doesn't spread but so far so good.. They often have infected tanks in that shop, and when I went to exchange my dead Cory's to the shop I saw dead Cory's in the tank, I didn't inspect that much but opted not to exchange then, take a 10$ loss and not take the chance to infect my tank.. Guess it was too late :-( thanks for all the info :/ I hope everything goes well for my poor mollies, I checked them out real good this morning and it's pretty bad..

You have to get the tank temp to 82+ for 2 good weeks. Maybe 86 the first 3 days and after that bring it down slowly to 82 for a week an a half. Thats how i fought it once

You have to get the tank temp to 82+ for 2 good weeks. Maybe 86 the first 3 days and after that bring it down slowly to 82 for a week an a half. Thats how i fought it once

You really need 86F to do the job. I can dig up a couple of links if you want tomorrow FYI? Also the temp needs to stay up for 10 days after last spot gone to make sure it is not hiding in the gills. Quickest I've dropped it down was I think 5 days after last spot was gone.

I know, you would think on ich life cycle it would be gone sooner but I've found it hangs around.

Can I ask where you heard 82?

I've read that mollies are especially susceptible to ich. My favorite fish book goes against the norm and says they're not a good fish for beginners and tend to be the weakest in a freshwater community tank.

So I forgot to post but the ich went down since I put the temp up (I did 86).. I still find it bizarre that they are the only one but everything seems to be going well, should I double the water changes ? I usually do 35-50% weekly..

Back
Top Bottom