Im a FW person, but Id like to know....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheezysquirrelz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Could someone tell me a little about SW and those black clownfish. Space requirements, food, etc. Do SW tanks cycle like FW tanks? How do you do water changes, because the salt measurments? What kind of filter do you use? Do they need special coral or anenomes?

In a few months(December or later) Id like to have a SW tank with a single black clownfish.

Also just curious, how big do porcipine puffers get?

WOW! Glad you are interested in SW but you just asked a whole bunch of questions there. too many to answer in one thread. My advice to all new to SW is to start iwth a good book. I recommend " the Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. It is a very good place to start. read it once and then one more time. SW is totally different then FW so you will have lots to learn. (for me, that is the fun part). gennerally speaking, start with teh largest tank your walet and space will accomidate. the more water volume you have the easier it will be to get started and keep things stable. Next, decide what type of tank you want...FO, FOWLR or reef. Then decide the filtreation you want, mechanical, LS with LR. Once you decide these things we can guide you throut the set up and in-going care. Good luch and have fun...Lando

I second that.

I went with a 37 gallon tank. The largest my pocket book could handle. One very important thing to note is that SW tanks are EXPENSIVE! Ligting, filtration, powerheads, sand, Live rock, etc. None of it is cheap. Just to give you an idea, I have spent over 1000 dollars already and I have yet to have one fish in my tank! But, you can do it cheaper.

The Key is research and paitence. one of my favorite parts of the Saltwater hobbie is the research. You learn so much fantastic stuff you never knew! Did you know that the Mantis Shrimp has one of the most powerful strikes in the animal kingdom? I sure didn't. and it lives in a medium thicker than air!

Have fun! and of course, ask many, many, many questions. Pick up that book! I haven't yet, but I will very soon!

Get your check book ready :D

SW is a great deal of fun.
Spend some time in the SW forums and read as many threads as you have time for.

Good Luck.

I love saltwater!!! I used to have fw but now there is no way i could ever go back. YOu should go for it if you have the money and time. Just make sure to do your research, everyone on this site is a lot of help! Dont be afraid to ask anything,
HTH

As Lando mentioned - Fenner's book is a very good start IMO. I did find myself reading it a number of times. "Conscientious" is the operative word in the book title. I'm still reading the thing! But is is still great to interact with all these folks here.

I just ordered the book. hopefully it will be here in a week.

Another consideration is going to be the amount of fish you can acually keep. THis is vastly different than freshwater. For Example, I will have 5 in my 37 gallon. and that is considered overstocking the tank!

But, you do have much, much more life in a SW tank if you Have Live Rock. there are crabs, shrimps, corals, worms, algea, etc. all contributing in their own way to creating a complete ecosystem

I just wanted to point out, with no disrespect intended to anyone, that Fenners book is now 7 years old (if I'm not mistaken).

It's still a great book.. I just think it's age is something to keep in mind.

The bible is pretty old too. :roll:

OK seriously though, I think the book still provides mewcomers with a wealth of information to consider shen purchasing, stocking, and repsonsibilties. Sure, there are some new things going on, but it's still a good read.

austinsdad said:
The bible is pretty old too. :roll:
Don't get me started 8O

Anyway, I didn't want to start a debate or anything.. I did say it was still a great book.. I just think newbies should be aware it's quite old and things may have changed in the last 7 years.

Personally, I still recommed it to everyone I talk to.. but with the above caveat.

I think I was trying to be funny.

but you're not sure? :wink:

the biggest thing i think that has been mentioned so far, was Soupy's comment: Patience! Everyone's comments on cost can easily be true, but many costs can also be easily avoided. The biggest cost, IMO, can be the livestock itself and if you rush in stocking your tank you'll throw away a lot money on fish (not to mention the poor fish). Many of the costs can be subsided by going the "natural" route. But even then there are a few items that are must haves IMO. (RO filter, powerheads, heater) LR will be your largest single cost item if you get into a tank larger than 30-40 gallons. But even that can be avoided to some extent with buying mostly base rock.

As many have pointed out, read, read, read. both books and online forums like ours (but not just ours). Variety in your sources is the best way to garner a well formed opinion.

Well, it was just a thought. Im 14 so I couldnt afford that anyway. I was just wondering if I could simply put a black clownfish into a 20gal and maybe a shrimp. Nothing fancy with corals and anenome and live rock. It wouldnt be any time soon, like I said a few months maybe a year.

it can be certainly be done, you just have to be much more diligent and patient with a smaller SW tank. If all you want is one fish you wouldn't even need a lot of equipment but be warned... you'll start with one, then you'll want more!

I love SW fish like porcipine puffers, lionfish, manderin gobies, and such, but I like FW best. I only want a blackclown and maybe, possibly a manderin goby. Are those easy to care for? And what do you mean by less equipment?

Less equipment meaning no protein skimmer amongst other things.. simple water changes are enough when the bioload is light.

The clownfish is easy but the manderin has some special requirements that a small tank couldn't really meet.. unless you attach a rather large refugium with a lot of LR.

You can do it well with:

a cheap sand bottom ( 3 dollar bag from home depot)
an emperor 280 filter with the bio wheel removed.
a maxi jet 400 Power head,
a couple good pieces of Live Rock from your local fish store. ( to add some diversity)
standard hood lighting.

you should be able to house 2 clowns and a shrimp or two with this setup in a 20 gallon system.

The whole setup will run you in the 200 dollar range.

Dont forget regular water changes and regular testing.

and don't forget to Research, Research, Research!

Sorry to bring this back after a long time, but powerheads hook up to undergravel filters right? Sand will fall through the undergravel filter plates wont it?

Back
Top Bottom