im addicted! :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbeckwit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So glad I decided to get into this hobby. Picked up a 20 gal. From craigslist about 6 months ago. Proceeded to change about everything. Have been through 3 different. Major decoration phases. Current one is defense. My favorite as I finally upgraded my lighting to 2 24w t5ho 6700k bulbs.

Residents are:
Male dalmation sailfin Molly
Female cremesicle lyretail Molly
5 babies from the above two

Male Silver lyretail Molly
Male gold twinbar platy
4 neon tetra
3 zebra danios
4 ghost shrimp

2 anubias nanas
Java fern
2 Amazon swords
2 can't remember

Sent from my cyanogenmod 7 LG Optimus S

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110302_080741.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110302_080741.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 282
  • ForumRunner_20110302_080829.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110302_080829.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 292
You're at your limit for stocking, but some of those fish do much better in schools. The zebra danios as an example, live much better in groups of six or more.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

You're at your limit for stocking, but some of those fish do much better in schools. The zebra danios as an example, live much better in groups of six or more.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Thats my issue atm. I was overstocked a bit, but I had schools of 5 of danios (Which are actually the long-fin variety) and tetras, but lost a few during a rocky stage. Ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrates ~30, temp 78, and I lost those three fish plus both of my mystery snails. Things have been good for the past few weeks though.
Now that things are right at the limit for bioload (have two filters though to counteract a tiny bit (penguin 100B & auqeon 20 quietflow)), I don't really want to add extra fish to get my schools up.
Once the baby mollies grow up a bit more (1"-1.5") I am going to donate 3-4 to a friend with a SW tank to acclimate them or try to get credit at lfs.

If you don't keep the rhizomes of the Java fern and Anubias above the substrate they will die, normally those plants are attached to rocks or wood, but can be planted with just the roots buried.

If you don't keep the rhizomes of the Java fern and Anubias above the substrate they will die, normally those plants are attached to rocks or wood, but can be planted with just the roots buried.

I read about the java fern, and plan on moving it. I did not know about the nanas though. Thanks!

Alrite. Moved Java fern, added some combosta and pulled rhizomes of anubias out of the sand. Better?

Sent from my cyanogenmod 7 LG Optimus S

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110302_230102.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110302_230102.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 172
  • ForumRunner_20110302_230138.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110302_230138.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 161
  • ForumRunner_20110302_230210.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110302_230210.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 184
  • ForumRunner_20110302_230243.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110302_230243.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 177
Bettababe is on the right track. However, I'd not worry about the zebras a whole lot. I have several of them and while they definitely enjoy each other's company, they don't really "school". (Actually if it were me, I'd add more neons. 4 is a respectable number but 6+ is even better. That is besides the point here though, just wanted to say that not overstocking is important!) Looks nice, btw! :)

I really like how you mixed sand w/ the multi-colored gravel! :D I've seen a couple of tanks w/ that design, but I must ask... how do you vacuum the substrate?! ;)

Bettababe is on the right track. However, I'd not worry about the zebras a whole lot. I have several of them and while they definitely enjoy each other's company, they don't really "school". (Actually if it were me, I'd add more neons. 4 is a respectable number but 6+ is even better. That is besides the point here though, just wanted to say that not overstocking is important!) Looks nice, btw! :)

I really like how you mixed sand w/ the multi-colored gravel! :D I've seen a couple of tanks w/ that design, but I must ask... how do you vacuum the substrate?! ;)

Thank you! I vacuum very carefully! haha. :cool:

Seriously though, for the gravel, I use the attachment and get down into it to get the crap from underneath. For the sand (And gravel near sand), I take off the scoop, and use just the tube. This gives better suction and I can do it from just far enough to grab all the crap from on top of sand, and not pick up much sand with it.

Back
Top Bottom