Im getting an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Research is the ultimate tool when doing saltwater... read the above, and beyond... I would HIGHLY suggest doing freshwater first... you can make mistakes less "painful" this way on your pocket. Losing a $3 fish is a lot easier than losing a $15 fish when you first start. And in all likelihood, you will lose fish. Also read stuff on Fishless cycling, the Nitrogen Cycle, and fish you want to put in your tank. Please DO FRESHWATER 1ST! Freshwater fish are a lot easier to breed outside of thier natural settings and thus they are not as exploited in the wild like our reefs in the ocean... A newbies mistakes just help exploite these fish/inverts/corals.

i think the cube is a good idea but i think you need to start with fresh water i did and got into saltwater before i really knew alot i lost alot of money and pieces of my heart when i lost @$200 in just fish due to ick thats not including the RO water the meds the countless testing, books START SMART!!! ,as these guys here are telling you, trust me they know best , im still learning and ask alot of questions , i still read alot and try to do the best but i look back and think if i had done more research before i took the plunge then maybe i would have known the signs of ick or at least some preventative mesures instead i listened to a LFS and treated the tank and killed all but 4 fish :eek: i cried most of the night and my juvi emporor who survived but barely was paralyzed and constantly sick he died 6 months after the ick due to illness and stress of it all he was my favorite :cry: , it has been a year and im just now getting ready to purchase fish after such a loss , yes they are beautiful but they are living creatures and RELY on you for their little innocent lives start out right and get to understand the fish, set a goal and work toword it ,ask questions and research, research, reseach is the best way to ensure a long and happy life for both you and your fish. good luck and keep us posted :D

Good advice...learned the hard way. I am going to postpone adding fish for a while after establishing my tank and figuring out how in the world I can mangae to maintain a quarantine tank for new arrivals. I don't know where to store all of the water I'll need for all of these things......

I can put a large garbage can in my basement, I suppose. My elec company is going to love me, with 3 tanks going and now a separate heater for water in my basement.

Time to invest in utility company stock, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom