Im here again!! Fishless cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burrhubb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Mondays readings

No3 100
No2 5-10
Gh 16
Kh 10 ph 6.8-7.2
Cl ok

Was advised to do 50% water change so I did. (Should i have cleaned filter in old tank water?) Here are the results an hour or so after

No3 100
No2 1-5
Gh 16
Kh 10
Ph 7.6-8
Cl2 ok

This mornings readings are

No3 100
No2 1-5
Gh 16
Kh 6
Ph 7.2
Cl2 ok

This evenings results are

No3 100
No2 5
Gh 8-16
Kh 6
Ph 6.8-7.2
Cl2 ok

Yes I am using testing strips. I have ordered the api master test kit so hopefully getting it soon. Is this doing ok or do I need to do another water change? (I'm thinking I do but want to ask for advice first)

Thank u in advance

Since you just did one I think it's ok to leave it for now. It's normal for nitrites to rise during this portion of the cycle; it's the longest too, unfortunately. If nitrites are 5+ for a week or more you can do some water changes to bring them down to a readable level on the chart. Also your PH seems to be dropping, so keep an eye on that. If it falls to the low 6's do another large water change to get it back up. If it keeps falling (normal during the cycle but bad for the bacteria) you may want to get some crushed coral or aragonite and put some into the filter to help buffer the water.

Thanx for advice :) will hold fire then :( gosh it's a long process! Lol x

Fishless cycling is often a very long process but just keep hanging in there you'll make it. I read on here a lot where people are 3+ weeks with no nitrites and think their tank isn't cycling when in fact it is. I'm glad your hanging in there and getting the right test kit. Keep up the good work.

Back
Top Bottom