im new and need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matt1245

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok, so im new to this forum and to saltwater i am getting a 29 gallon biocube at the end of the week. my local aquarium said it would be about $400 to get the tank up and running. i would like to know about how much its going to be to buy the tank, sand, salt and anything else i would need to get it going

i also dont really know what kind of fish i want so if someone could give me some suggestions it would help

and how long should i wait until i start to put fish in?

thanks

its definatley going to be from the LFS, but im still wondering about how long until i put in test fish and what kind of fish are good for beginners

ok thanks i wasnt planning on adding fish that early i just wanted to get an idea of about how long it takes and i talked to the owner of the Lfs today and he said it would be $443 to get it up and running with live sand, salt, 29 gallon biocube, and 20 lbs of base rock. i was wondering if that was to much for such a small tank?

ok so i made a small list of what i would possibly like to have in my tank its a 29 gallon biocube. some fish are clown goby, firefish, sailfin blenny, flame hawkfish, zebra barred dartfish, somekind of damsel, and the smallest kind of clownfish and the inverts are brittle star, blood red fire shrimp, and turbo snails

I would skip the so called "live" sand and just get the dry stuff.

ok thanks i wasnt planning on adding fish that early i just wanted to get an idea of about how long it takes and i talked to the owner of the Lfs today and he said it would be $443 to get it up and running with live sand, salt, 29 gallon biocube, and 20 lbs of base rock. i was wondering if that was to much for such a small tank?

Seems like an OK deal through a LFS. Online, you could get the tank itself delivered to your door for just shy of $300. Not sure what all is included with the biocube (heater? thermometer?), but most likely you'll end up dropping an easy $200+ more once you start getting into it and realizing the things you'll need that you don't have. (Refractometer, additional powerhead for better flow, mixing/storage setup for saltwater, extra heater for water storage, test kits, blah blah blah). Just make sure you budget for that.

It'll take about 4-6 weeks to cycle the tank before it's safe to put fish in it. Regarding a stock list, look over the links the other folks gave you and pay particular attention to maximum recommended tank size. If you plan on keeping corals, also pay attention to whether or not the fish are "reef compatible".

doesnt allways take 4-6 weeks.... mine cycled in 2 weeks and i still hav my first fish. heres what i suggest on about a weekly basis go to the LFS and get your water tested.. theyll let you know when your tank is cycled and is ready to add a fish....

BTW a great first fish which makes a nice addition is the yellow tailed damsel... great fish very hearty..... also the clown or maybe a royal gramma?

Not to get on anyones case, but adult yellowtail Damsels like most damsels can get pretty nasty. Unless it's the only fish......

I'd like to add that you should get your own liquid test kits and not really trust your LFS or at least use them as a back up water test.
I agree the damsels can get pretty nasty and I would not suggest adding them first if you plan on adding more docile fish.
By the way, my damsels (including my yellow tails) killed a royal gramma in about a day.

oh wow.. i didnt know that about damsels... but i guess mine is the only fish in my tank.. ha ha a very hearty fish i have a shrimp in there as well doing well....

Just a little input. I started out with some blue-green chromis in my tank and love them. They stay together and are fun to watch. I added a clown a couple days ago and they all get along fine. The chromis watched the clown very closley for a day or so, but now it's all good. None of that aggressive behavior I've heard about with Damsels.

Timmy, it usually happens when the damsels are first in the tank and they establish their territories. If you add the damsels last, they typically are ok. Of course each fish is different!

Just a little input. I started out with some blue-green chromis in my tank and love them. They stay together and are fun to watch. I added a clown a couple days ago and they all get along fine. The chromis watched the clown very closley for a day or so, but now it's all good. None of that aggressive behavior I've heard about with Damsels.

Even though chromis are damsels, they're the most mild mannered of the group and rarely cause issues.

Wow, next thing you know someone will say that "Clowns" are Damsel even if they swim funny. ;)
Oh My.....they are.................

"Clowns" are Damsel even if they swim funny.

LOL!

Back
Top Bottom