Im new, some advice would be appreciated.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakepen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What's up guys, my name is jake. About a month ago my little bro got my girlfriend a one gallon tank, with a gold fish and and cat fish in it. Next day I bought a ten gallon tank. Took those fish back to ocean odyssey (local pet store). I than bought Two Green Spotted Puffers, Two Clown Loaches, and One Leporiuns. Had that tank for about a week. Ditched it, And moved them into a 70 gallon tank. (Really love this new hobby, really excited to learn everything, and grow big, healthy fish.) Thus the reason for the new big home. In the new tank, I have the old filter, and an Emperor 400 filter running. The water seems clean, I have drops I put in every day. And performed my first partial water change tonight. Also in the process of cycling my tank, with a bottle of good bacteria (store bought). I was just wondering how many more fish you guys think I can put in my tank, what kind, also should I get a bubble wand, if so why? I guess I'm just looking for pointers. If you guys know anything about the type of fish I have an, or have any experience please let me know what you know. Any tips on keeping the water clear, what they like to eat. I mean, anything you guys want to tell a newbie, I would really appreciate it. Thank you for reading, really long thread I know...

I am glad you upgraded. I will warn you. The GSP will need freshwater, then brackish, then full salt, and a larger tank. Try figure 8 puffers. :)

I've added some salt already, it's at about 1.04 or so. I plan on increasing it as they get older. There juveniles still, but contrary to what people have said, they do great together. Follow each other around, rest by each other, share food really well. Hope it stays this way, even when they get older. But you think I'll need bigger than a 70 gallon still?

OK unfortunately you have some stocking issues here.

The GSPs may prefer brackish water but not the other fish, so you can't have them both in the same tank if you're going to keep the GSP in brackish conditions.

Clown loaches do best in groups but they can grow quite large and will need 200+ gals for a group of adults (don't add more now though).

The Banded Leporinus also needs some plant material inits diet such as leaves, algae and veggies.

Also if this is a new tank it's likely not cycled. TO keep the fish safe you're going to need to test the water daily and do water changs as needed: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

It's usually best to research first prior to purchasing.

Clown Loach (Chromobotia macracanthus) — Loaches Online
Leporinus fasciatus – Banded Leporinus (Salmo fasciatus, Leporinus novemfasciatus) — Seriously Fish
Tetraodon nigroviridis (Green Spotted Puffer) — Seriously Fish

What's up guys, my name is jake. About a month ago my little bro got my girlfriend a one gallon tank, with a gold fish and and cat fish in it. Next day I bought a ten gallon tank. Took those fish back to ocean odyssey (local pet store). I than bought Two Green Spotted Puffers, Two Clown Loaches, and One Leporiuns. Had that tank for about a week. Ditched it, And moved them into a 70 gallon tank. (Really love this new hobby, really excited to learn everything, and grow big, healthy fish.) Thus the reason for the new big home. In the new tank, I have the old filter, and an Emperor 400 filter running. The water seems clean, I have drops I put in every day. And performed my first partial water change tonight. Also in the process of cycling my tank, with a bottle of good bacteria (store bought). I was just wondering how many more fish you guys think I can put in my tank, what kind, also should I get a bubble wand, if so why? I guess I'm just looking for pointers. If you guys know anything about the type of fish I have an, or have any experience please let me know what you know. Any tips on keeping the water clear, what they like to eat. I mean, anything you guys want to tell a newbie, I would really appreciate it. Thank you for reading, really long thread I know...

Are you from Saginaw, if so, would you suggest Ocean Odyssey? It's about a block from my friend's house, but I've never bought anything from there.

Back
Top Bottom