I'm not sure what's going on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kharrnn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought some nerite snails a while ago and they seemed to be doing ok for a couple days, then they just stopped moving around. They are alive cause I see them come out of their shells, but they aren't eating. After about a week of this I decided to take them out and get rid of them. I thought it was related to the fenbendazole I used in the tank to clear up the planaria I had so I added carbon to the filter and did a water change. I waited about two weeks before buying some replacements.

Well, I bought four nerites two days ago. I drip acclimated them and they were active. I added them to my tank and for about a day they were zipping around eating and enjoying life but now they are just sitting around like the other ones were doing. Not moving, not eating. Color of they fleshy part looks fine.

I have live plants, eco complete substrate, driftwood, red cherry shrimp (doing well and even breeding), and oto's and a bamboo shrimp. I've tested my water several times and the parameters are great. I do dose ferts weekly so I thought it was copper, but the shrimp are not affected.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this sort of thing?

i have one of them and he moves around every once in a while but its a rare occurence to see it. i thought he had died cause he didnt move for a few days then saw him at the other end of the tank scooting around

How long has the tank been set up? With ottos and shrimp it's possible there isn't much food left for the snails unless you have a lot of algae. You could try putting in a piece of blanched veggies, like lettuce, cucumber or spinach (leave it in for a day or two and then pull it out). You could also toss in an algae wafer every few days (your other fish might eat most of it though lol). I have two nerites and they're almost always moving; they do have their rest periods but it's never for long. I don't have much visible algae in the tank but I don't have any other algae eaters per se and have had the snails for 5 months now so I guess they're surviving on something. If they don't move for a few days take one out and smell it; if it smells rotten then it's dead, if not then it's just resting.

The oto's and shrimp don't do much for the algae. I guess I've trained them to eat wafers and shrimp food. There is plenty of food for the snails.

Could the DIY co2 system affect them in a negative way? Maybe they don't like the gas the yeast/sugar mix produces?

The oto's have been acting a little sluggish today now too. Shrimp are still doing fine and chowing down on any food I put in there. I do see a couple small ones picking at algae too. Very active little buggers.

Maybe the oto's are just a little stressed from me messing with the snails and will get more active soon.

The tank has been going for a couple months and is cycled completely.

Back
Top Bottom