Im starting diy co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaseMrNiceguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So im going to start diy co2 system tomorrow on my 38 gallon I figure I will use 2 2liter bottles with a 20oz bubble counter/cleaner. Should I attach both 2liters into one line going into the 20oz? On the tube going into the diffuser with the check valve should I put some sort of gas "regulator" on it? What kind of diffuser should I use?

This is my plan

ForumRunner_20130605_124557.jpg

Im unsure of where to put the regulator either before the "bubble counter" or after I would assume. Also hoe much yeast/sugar is uses to make the mix and how much water should I use?

This is my plan

View attachment 178255

Im unsure of where to put the regulator either before the "bubble counter" or after I would assume. Also hoe much yeast/sugar is uses to make the mix and how much water should I use?

That looks right. You definitely want your reactors before your drop checker. Ebay has those glass diffusers, which I'm having success with. Your main issue is going to be leaks. Get good quality check valves and connectors. You can use a little dish soap on your connections to see if you have leaks. I placed my check valve in the tank closer to the diffuser. The recipe that works well for me is 1/2 tsp yeast, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 2 cups of sugar. I activate my yeast prior to adding it by putting it in a cup with some sugar and stirring it well. Let it sit 5 or 10 minutes before you add it. Fill the bottles up to where they start to bend. My mixture lasts over 2 weeks. I placed my diffuser underneath my circ pump so the co2 gets distributed throughout the tank. I started this a few weeks ago just for the heck of it and I can't believe the growth. Good luck!

Ive read you should only do co2 for so many hours a day how do I go about shutting the co2 down in the tank for the off hours or do I just leave it running 24hours a day?

Ive read you should only do co2 for so many hours a day how do I go about shutting the co2 down in the tank for the off hours or do I just leave it running 24hours a day?

leave it on all day long, if you are worried about a build-up of co2 during the night you can have the outflow from a filter or a wavemaker hit the water surface, this will aerate the tank and make co2 disappear.

Sounds good im off to get what I need now will hopefully have co2 in the yank by tonight.

Is thst 1/2 tbsp per 2 liter bottle

yes, per bottle. Also you don't really have to worry about gassing your fish with DIY co2, especially with your size tank. If you're concerned you could check on them at night to look for unusual behavior such as gasping at the surface. I never had any issues when I ran 2 2L bottles on my 29g. You could always get a drop checker to get a rough idea of the co2 saturation in your tank. I called your bubble counter a drop checker in my original response lol. Sorry.

I just started a DIY CO2 single bottle this past weekend. Bubbling along. I don't have a decent diffuser (just a cheap airstone) and I currently have it feeding into an extra HOB filled with layers of filter fluff (catches the tiny bubbles). I will add a second bottle to keep a consistent supply.

One thing I might add to your design: if you were to put a check valve between each bottle and the "Y" connector, then when it is time to swap out one of the bottles, you won't depressurize the other bottle. Others feel free to chime in and correct/confirm this.

I just hooked my 2 bottle up waiting for the bubbles to arrive hopefully by morning I had some extra aqarium silicone lying around so I used it to caulk the tubes into place so hopefully I wont have any leaks.

I think it took a few hours before I started seeing bubbles and about a half a day before it was bubbling consistently.

I did not use sealant; I drilled a 3/16" hole in the lid/cap of a 2L juice bottle and with needle nose pliers, pulled silicon air hose through it. I did a leak test by putting some water in the bottle, capping it and tying off the end of the hose (a check valve would work)...then inverting the bottle and giving it a good squeeze while looking for leaks. Of course a little late since you have already started.

Its already starting to bubble away not super fast but it is releasing micro bubbles out of my diffuser pretty steady now and its only been about 3 hours. I did thr same thing with my hose but wanted the extra security with the silicone just to be safe.

Just like plants out of water plants underwater also convert co2 into oxygen. It stimulates growth which in turn helps eat up all the other bad stuff in the water
I.e. ammonia, nitrates, and nitrates. It also makes them healthier.

So is this for the plants or for the fish?

At some time in the future I'd like to do some plants, but first I need to get the fish down pat!

Here is a pic of it about 4 hours after setup

If you don't mind, can you tell me which diffuser are you using and where did you get it from?

I'd like to get one and set it up so that the rising bubbles are in the path of the HOBs downward current (to maximize contact time). My current setup has hundreds of tiny bubbles trapped in blue/white filter fluff in an secondary HOB. I need to get a drop checker so that I can test the effectiveness of each setup.

Its mostly for the plants but in the lonh run helps fish by keeping your water params steady

Iv been thinking about adding some co2 to my community tank. Don't wanna go anything crazy or anything but...

At my lps the other day I seen a bubble mesh bar like thing. Basically instead of a bubble bar I was a longer mesh like thing. Don't u bassically want smaller bubbles for creating co2? So wouldn't that ultimately increase ur co2 alitlle. It seems like a good alternative to an expensive set up?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom