I'm sure this is a dumb question but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrhelton

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm cycling my old 10 gallon aquarium right now so I can use it to breed shrimp. The only heater I have though belongs to my old 29 gallon aquarium. It's 150 watts. Is that way too much for a 10 gallon or will it just work less?

I've had it in for a few days and it's keeping it too hot, but I have probably just had the dial turned up too high. It's also possible that it's no good anymore.

mrhelton said:
I'm cycling my old 10 gallon aquarium right now so I can use it to breed shrimp. The only heater I have though belongs to my old 29 gallon aquarium. It's 150 watts. Is that way too much for a 10 gallon or will it just work less?

I've had it in for a few days and it's keeping it too hot, but I have probably just had the dial turned up too high. It's also possible that it's no good anymore.

What shrimp are you keeping? If the heater was working properly it would only raise the temp to the thermostat setting.

Judging by your description ... I'd be more worried about the later. Even a large heater (compared to the tank) should heat to the temp you set ... albeit very quickly. Then again ... there probably comes a point when a larger heater is just too much for a smaller tank. I'd say set it to a lower temp and see if it goes above it ... if so .. time for a new thermometer.

I plan on breeding Red Cherry Shrimp. From what I've read, I can keep the aquarium anywhere from 65-85, and I keep my house around 70, but I'm making an assumption that a little warmer is better for breeding. I haven't done a lot of research on them yet though, since I'm not really to that point yet.

I'm gonna see what happens with the temp once the water readjusts now that I turned it all the way down. If it's no good, I'll get a 50 watt Aqueon Pro. That's what you guys recommend here isn't it?

mrhelton said:
I plan on breeding Red Cherry Shrimp. From what I've read, I can keep the aquarium anywhere from 65-85, and I keep my house around 70, but I'm making an assumption that a little warmer is better for breeding. I haven't done a lot of research on them yet though, since I'm not really to that point yet.

I'm gonna see what happens with the temp once the water readjusts now that I turned it all the way down. If it's no good, I'll get a 50 watt Aqueon Pro. That's what you guys recommend here isn't it?
I keep mine in low 70s room temp and they do great. I like jager heaters but aqueon is fine.

Back
Top Bottom