Im thinking of getting freshwater Rays.. help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatfishGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
im selling all my aggressive fish and setting up for a tank of rays, I was thinking atlantic florida rays but I wasn't sure. let me know what you think I should get. I have a 450 gallon tank, also what kind of tank mates should they have thanks - ash

Get motoro for ur first time. You can do many species but I've heard that flag tails are a no go. Tbh if you are going for beauty go for neons cause they will look super cool with the rays

Sent from my fish tank

What is the tank footprint ? Motoro's are best for beginners as mentioned. Personally I'd skip over the neons as they're garbage and problematic IMO. Cardinals would be a much hardier choice. Buenos Aires, bleeding heart, Congo tetras or silver dollars. Some have kept Pacus as well. Beware they do get quite large and are serious poop factories. Angels and Discus.

Lots of your own research will be the key to determining how to go about keeping them.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Ya I back the discus as well, that could be sick. But tbh if you have enough filtration then neons won't be a problem, many people just don't care for them right.

Sent from my fish tank

I have a stingray tank planned for the future as well, and I'll back the Discus.
The only potential issue I've seen is the Rays may pick them off overnight occasionally. I don't know if that's correct or not. Someone should verify whether or not that would be a problem. I don't imagine it would be after they've reached a decent size.

My vote for Motoro Rays. I saw a few at one of my LFS and fell in love but I can't afford a tank for them.

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp
~45g ick is fixed! White skirt tetras.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

My buddy works at a well trusted LFS and they have a stingray/discus display. Haven't lost one to predation yet.

I will add for the op, I wouldn't recommend getting involved with the stingray/discus combo if you've never done discus.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Yo payara could be sweet if you wanted to go with predator tank

Sent from my fish tank

And don't do those Atlantic cause they aren't fully fresh water

Sent from my fish tank

Back
Top Bottom