Im totally lost! 120g tank setup!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tstewar82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! My name is Timothy. I'm a full time nursing student with the world on my mind! I'm 22 y/o while working full time in a hospital as well.. I just thought I would throw a general layout of where 90% of my brain is so some of you guys don't think I'm crazy for getting into something I know nothing about!!

Anyways, I recently inherited a 120g tank! With lighting that I've yet to determine what type/wattage/brand/ Anything! I can only say that the tank I was given was made in 03 and has no leaks. I tested that today.

What this tank came with it the lighting, a UGF (heard those are useless in tanks above 55g) lots of substrate, no top, 2 powerheads, they say "404" on them, they are really grimey and "404" is the only thing I can make out.

Anyways from just doing what little research I had time to do I've come to the conclusion that I need only three things!

1. A filter system! Amazon.com: Fluval FX5 External Canister Filter: Pet Supplies or Amazon.com: Eheim Classic Aquarium Filter 2260: Pet Supplies (id rather throw myself off a bridge then buy that)

2. Heating! I assume ill need two heaters with this big of a tank?? Any suggestions? Also assuming ill need a total of 500watts?

3. Water Testing! No clue here professional advice EXTREMELY appreciated!

Other then that from the small experience I have I'm guessing that is all I need! Also this will be a freshwater tank!

I have an African Cichlid in a 40g tank that I'm going to be moving into this tank and gradually introducing close to maybe 6 more cichlids, I think i understand the male to female ratio, 1m to 3f? I may be wrong.. Its late for me....

So I am almost sure that I have left something out that I need!!!

Guys/Girls! I am almost certain that each and every one of you have your own lives and may or may not have time to read/answer this post! But I can assure you this! Getting this tank setup and ready to go means the absolute world to me! This tank is my piece of mind when coming home and throwing my books down and collapsing onto my bed! I cant begin to tell any of you how much this means to me!!! Even though I already have lol!!!! Sorry!!!

Anyways from the many posts I have read on this site this is the one where I've found the most informative individuals!!

Thanks anyways for the glances! Happy 4th everyone!!! :fish1::fish1::fish1::thanks:

If it is going to be freshwater I would recommend you post it there. This is the saltwater getting started. Best of luck to you though!!!!! If you want to try salt......... Its awesomer lol.

For water testing get an api fresheater master test kit :) and i have heard good things about the fluval canisters :D good luck dude

Im sorry for posting in the saltwater side of this forum, I was extremely tired and just clicking at that point last night!

Guys my intentions were to originally start a saltwater tank, then one day my parents surprised me with a couple Cichlids and said here start a tank! So I did!

But if I find I like the site of this 120 ill get a second one I gotta say though... I leak tested today... Woah.. Its unreal the size of this thing... Id rather watch this then T.V.

Thanks again guys! Sorry once again!

Id rather watch this then T.V.

I often sit and just watch my fish.

And when I am watching television, I'm always watching the fish during commercials. :)

Welcome to the hobby!

Fair warning, it's addictive (though from the sound of things, the warning's coming a little late).

Best!

Yes this hobby is EXTREMELY addictive and tends to be a bit pricey lol but a very fun, relaxing hobby to have so best of luck to you and hope you keep us posted

Also I just tested the (and they are 402's) powerheads and only 1 works. They have all kinds of crap on them though Im gonna clean them and put just the one on the opposite end of the tank facing towards the pump. The pump will be on right side. Suggestions?

I just ordered the http://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATER-MASTER-TEST-KIT/dp/B000255NCI now I just need to find 2 heaters. I can do that myself though now that I've had some sleep.

Im still debating on the canister filter I shall use, I've read mixed reviews on fluval... I'm basing my purchase off reviews.. May or may not be a good thing. I do not think I've read one bad review on any Eheim.. I have owned many German engineered products in the past and they've never let me down before. But money is always a problem.. I am going to have to lean towards fluval fx5. Opinions?

I shall get this! Amazon.com: Fluval FX5 External Canister Filter: Pet Supplies Any thoughts?

As for media I have chosen to go with Seachem Matrix, also heard Volcanic rock was good to use. Thoughts?

For Chlorine ill use Prime. OR Seachem Purigen I have not determined if they are the same thing yet, I'm skimming at the moment before work.. Concerns??

:hide: That's how I feel right now. This whole setup is scaring the heck out of me.. Let me know guys all opinions are greatly appreciated!

Feel free to set me straight or educate me! Mold me people!!

Thanks again for every bit of info! Also no guys I cant go saltwater, as much as I want to I just cant leave my buddy in his small tank!!

Have a great day everyone!

I will certainly do so believe me! I have already seen the addictive side to this hobby and have fully embraced it lol! My 120g tank is literally going on the east side of my bed so ill always be able to watch my fish!

I don't know anything about canisters so I can't offer any advice there. :oops: but in regards to the volcanic rock, people like it because it's very porous, lots of nooks and crannies for BB(beneficial bacteria) to grow. I don't really know a lot about the Matrix but I think it's a similar idea though maybe matrix offers more?? Sounds pretty crazy. lol.

Everyone loves Prime here, I've yet to find it in my neck of the woods sadly :( My understanding is that Purigen is more of a media type thing and not a dechlorinator.?? I believe it goes in your filter like other media and is used to filter out impurities from your water. You would still need to use something for chlorine with water changes..

Have you decided on your decor yet? Substrate and everything? Sounds like it's going to be an awesome tank when it's all set up. I'm jealous.

I love fluval canister filters but they're the only brand I've used, so.. lol. And you want the prime, its a liquid you pour in during every water change, purigen is a filter media. The only filter media I use in my canister filter is bio-max, a little prefilter, and a wad of batting I put in a media bag.
I also use fluval heaters, I have the E300 but I've noticed a lot of people had problems with it. I never have, but I also have another heater in there, I can't remember what brand.

I say get 2 aquaclear 110s, or the fx5.
Ive never had an fx5, but i love my aquaclear.

The only thing I don't like about hob filters like the aquaclear is that they make noise. And I can't diffuse my co2 through an hob. But those aren't problems for a lot of people, and as far as hob filters go, aquaclears are my favorite.

yea everyone seems to love the aquaclears though I hear they are pretty pricey so may not be the option you are looking for. Not exactly sure how it would compare to your canister though.

I personally love the running water sound from my HOB. I'm trying to convince hubby we needed to put a tank in our bedroom. :)

Canisters are a decent bit more expensive then HOB filters but worth it

"Fair warning, it's addictive (though from the sound of things, the warning's coming a little late)"

This place is like taking a bottle of Grey Goose to an AA meeting :)

You go to meet others of like mind and interest and the next thing you know...

Back
Top Bottom