Im worried i have way too many fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charliegonz92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 45 gal tank with:
Colombian shark catfish
Pictus catfish
Raphael catfish
Unknown pleco (got from petco)
Blue lobster crayfish
Clown loach
Red tail shark
Roap fish
Peacock eel

Tank has been up for over a year. Do I have to get a bigger tank?

Attachments

• image-3380877979.jpg
    image-3380877979.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 299
Charliegonz92 said:
I have a 45 gal tank with:
Colombian shark catfish
Pictus catfish
Raphael catfish
Unknown pleco (got from petco)
Blue lobster crayfish
Clown loach
Red tail shark
Roap fish
Peacock eel

Tank has been up for over a year

The Pictus will get too big for the tank since it can reach over 10 inches and from what I've read prefer groups.

Columbian shark catfish also needs a bigger tank because of its capability to reach 10 inches.

Raphael seems ok from what I've read.

The pleco most likely is a common and that can reach over a foot, so it isn't suitable for your tank.

The clown loach gets quite large and prefers groups, so it needs a bigger tank as well.

The red tailed shark might be ok, it might not depending on how active yours are. Ive seen most places recommend a 55 gallon tank. How long is your tank?

The rope fish gets very big as well, so my instinct is saying that it will be too big. However someone else will have to confirm that.

The peacock eel should be ok from what I've read.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear.

The Pictus will get too big for the tank since it can reach over 10 inches and from what I've read prefer groups.

Columbian shark catfish also needs a bigger tank because of its capability to reach 10 inches.

Raphael seems ok from what I've read.

The pleco most likely is a common and that can reach over a foot, so it isn't suitable for your tank.

The clown loach gets quite large and prefers groups, so it needs a bigger tank as well.

The red tailed shark might be ok, it might not depending on how active yours are. Ive seen most places recommend a 55 gallon tank. How long is your tank?

The rope fish gets very big as well, so my instinct is saying that it will be too big. However someone else will have to confirm that.

The peacock eel should be ok from what I've read.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear.

I just wanted to make a couple corrections not to be rude or anything :) because I don't know everything. But I do know what I keep for the most part
Pictus catfish does better in groups of 3 or more and get to be 6"
Columbian shark is a freshwater fish but as it grows should be kept in brackish waters. It's size can reach to 14" and should not be kept with small fish because it will it whatever it can fit in its mouth.

Some species of pictus get to be 10 in and some get to be 6. If its a polka dot pictus then it will only get to 6.

Yes I agree with the stuff already mentioned. You would need a very big tank if you wanted to keep all those fish

Thanks for the advice. I've gotten rid of the pleco and the Colombian catfish

Columbian sharks will need saltwater rather than brackish water when they reach adult hood.

Back
Top Bottom