Impulse buy, Bolivian Ram -Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musket

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Last night I saw these at the store for $3.00 each. I tried to walk away.... really I did.... but i went back (many times-- and even went to get a clerk to get me some...)
Well I picked up four. 2 larger 2 smaller.. I want to put them in my 38g tank.. I know I should have done research first.... but was afraid they would be gone at that price (seen them around for $6-8 in the last 6 months) so I snatched some up. My internet was down last night so I couldn't ask or look them up... What I found says they are peaceful community fish unless spawning..

My question ... can they live with fire mouth meeki's? I have 2 in the tank I had intended them for, and didn't realize how large one of them had gotten. I'm a little skeptical of putting them in there now.... Any comments? Lots of plants and rocks in this tank. Shared with red, pristilla and albino tetras and giant danos, and a pleco of course.

I currently put them in the 28g tank, but it is overstocked with them in there. Mix of female bettas, 2 angels, blue danios, black skirt tetas, small pleco, lace cat, khuli loach.

They don't seem to mind. and noone seems to mind them but it's only been 12 hours. I increased the filtration as well.

Should I leave them here? Or move them to the bigger tank?

I also have a 10 g with a male and female betta (large), a stripped cory cat and a few snails. I could put them here maybe, but I thought it would be too small.

input please. Thanks

I'd guess they'd be ok, unless the firemouth's are a pair, and decide to spawn.
also, wouldn't work if one of the firemouth's turn out to be a psycho.
but definitely give it a shot first.

My firemouth is a psycho. I would never even attempt to keep Bolivian rams with him, and that particular tank is a 55. I definitely wouldn't try it in a 3 foot tank, but that's just me.

I agree with your that the 28 gallon would be overstocked with them in there. Even if it weren't overstocked, you may find that you have issues with aggression with 4 of them in there. They certainly are peaceful for cichlids, but they do require space to claim territories. I tried keeping 4 in a 29 gallon and it didn't work out. I had to move one because the others were picking on it. IMO 2 Bolivians is the max I would keep in a 30 inch tank- they need more space than GBRs. I understand that they don't mind right now, but that may change when they begin to claim territories.

The 10 is too small, period, even for just one of them.

I'm really not sure what to tell you to do with them, unless you want to rehome some of your other fish. Good luck!

I hear you on not wanting to pass them up. I fell madly in love with the little bolivian ram at work. Well on Monday I came in to him no longer having a tail. There are not really any fish in the tank that would do that, and it looked to me like he got caught on something and it was ripped off. We don't have a QT tank at all, but he seemed better on Tues after I had done a 50% water change. I came in today and he was dead. :( I know this sounds sappy, but every time I think about him I tear up. For gawd's sakes, he was one of the work fish!! Anyhow, I called every fish store in town and only one place had them. 40 mile round trip. $13.00 later, and however much I spent in gas, I am now the proud owner of my own bolivian ram that I can take much better care of here at home!!

In short, the Bolivians will not do well with firemouths, which are an aggressive fish. The only time that you will notice a Bolivian being even mildy "aggressive" is during spawning where they will claim territory and try to keep out anything that doesn't belong there. The meeki will tear them apart IMO. One pair would be okay in a 20 gallon tank. I thought about getting some for my 55 gallon tank but I am overstocked on bottome dwellers as it is with 8 GBR's.

IME Bolivian and German Blue Rams are practically like trying to keep Discus. Water temp, ph, and dissolved nutrient values (ie nitrate and ammonia) all need to be on spot on. Also keeping these shy, delicate fish with something like a Firemouth, a South American cichlid like the Rams but a more aggresive one could spell stress and death.

Since these fish are so delicate they stress very easily and are tough to bring back after an overly stressful encounter. I would recommend a small 20 gallon long tank that can be the sole tank for the entire group. The only thing that would cause stress at that point would be during spawning sessions between the group.

GBR's and Bolivians are not difficult to keep if you obtain good quality stock, especially the Bolivians. GBR's are very frequently imported from Asia, and these fish tend to be doomed from the start as they are pumped full of hormones to get them to color up for sale. This takes a toll on the fish and they will not last long. Quality ones on the other hand that are obtained from local breeders can be very nice and hardy.

Back
Top Bottom