In-Fish cycling!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceangirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
here are the stats:
10 gallon set up yesterday
5 small fish (platy babies I think?)
Filter 150 B Penguin Marineland With 1 well worn (1 month+ old) Filter pad

Subst: Sand + plastic plants

I had 2 mature filter pads sitting in my main tank filter a Aquaclear 70, plus my usaul media in there. Set my new tank (10 gal) up after having to sanitize and air dry for a week. I set up the tank yesterday with fish, and then this morning took one of the pads from AC to the Penguin. I know how to do Fishless cycle and Cycle with no Mature media. So Now what to do? I have API test kit.

Your probably cycled already. Just watch those parameters and be sure.

You should prob be cycled or close to it. Just test your tanks, I would test both just to be sure you don't see a mini cycle in the big one too. If your levels go up passed .25 then do a water change.

Those platy if babies will be fine short term but as they grow I doubt you'll be able to keep your water quality under control. They have a pretty hefty bioload. IF they are babies though you should be fine for a little while.

I don't plan on keeping them all, they were given to me. Free with purchase type deal, they are less than half the size of my pinky. maybe 3 cm or less. I plan on keeping the pretty ones and the other into the LFS for credit. actually once I cleared the plants from the bag (my purchase) I acutally have 10 little ones. goodness! I have a LFS that gives you credit. :) The ones that make the cut will be going in my B-day Present, a 29. Or i might be upgrading this tank to a 20. Either way they will be perfectly happy.

FYI I also read up on what a "filter squeezing" was and did that with the big white sponge in my aquaclear into a bowl then the bowl contents into the 10 gallon tank. Wish I knew to do this before I did my water change/filter clean!:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom