in tank nitrate eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mle421

Aquarium Advice Freak
is there anything i can put in my tank plant or coral that will help lower nitrates? cheato? or will that just overtake my tank?

no. i just have a hob filter w/carbon and floss. but i do 3 water changes a week (between 10 and 20%) and my nitrate is rarely below 20. Is this becasue i have such a small tank? cause i would hate to upgrade to a larger tank (which i plan on doing in a month) only to find i'm still doing water changes that often, but 20% of my 30 gallon tank would be 6 gallons not the easy 2 gallon water changes i do now with my 10gal tank. my nitrates are never this high in my freshwater tank.

A very good skimmer for your tank would be a cpr backpak. I would get one from captivereefs.com with the maxijet1200 pump. It will cost you $129 and you'll get a 6% discount by using the code aquariumadvice at checkout.

whats a maxijet1200 pump? is it an attached powerhead? dont let my "aquarium advice freak" status fool you, i'm still a newbie, just started in saltwater in january, so all the names of equipment are lost on me.

whats a maxijet1200 pump?
It is simply a powerhead. Maxi-Jet is the name (made by Marineland) and 1200 is the model. I believe it pumps 290gal/hr.

so do i need a protien skimmer? or would two 30 gal HOB filters and 45 lbs of live rock be enough?

Just one thing I will mention. You said you are doing water changes, are you also changing out the floss and other media when you do the changes?

A protien skimmer is always recommended. With enough LR and a good skimmer, your filtering needs will be met. IMO, a skimmer is an important part of keeping water quality high.

Back
Top Bottom