Increased resp rate one Shubunkin only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teddysheep

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi new here & wondering if someone can help please.
I have 3 x 2" fish (goldfish & 2 x shubunkins) in 50L aquarium. New Fluval 2 filter installed.

Goldfish & 1 Shubunkin are absolutely fine but the other Shubunkin seems to have an elevated respiration rate - mouth constantly open & closed, quite rapid gill movements. He doesn't show any other signs of ill health, feeding well, dorsal fin erect, is not breathing at surface at all, other fish show no elevated resp rate whatsoever. All 3 seem very hungry constantly (above what I can remember my other fish were over the last 15yrs, but I've been out of fish keeping for 6!). The fish with elevated resp rate is the smallest & the other 2 are bullies, always getting food first & are growing, this one is noticeable weaker & I do think possibly he isn't swimming as strongly as he should (though barely noticeable - worried about swimbladder), he had a day with his dorsal slightly down the other day but usually is is erect as it should be.

Aquarium has been cycled though and water is tested (I'm at work so don't have figures with me). Did have slightly elavated nitrates though no noticeable effects in fish & did small water changes & nitrates near 0. Recent test ph though was 6.5

I've increased aeration this morning with air curtain. Tried soaking flakes before feeding, just not sure what is wrong as only 1 fish affected.

Sorry for long 1st post.
Grateful for any help

Welcome to AA!!!

Do you know your exact numbers for ammonia and nitrite? What type of tests (liquid or strips) are you using? Are these fish new purchases? What type of water change schedule do you have? Filtration?

50litres is only about 13gallons and I suspect your fish may be feeling the effects of undesirable water conditions possibly combined with a fluke infection. Unfortunately, this tank is honestly not suitable for any goldfish as they grow very large, very quickly and produce copious amounts of ammonia. Bullying issues are going to become more pronounced in a very short amount of time as there simply is not sufficient space for these guys. Your water is also quite acidic- does it normally sit at this low of a ph? This may be aggravating things as well.

Once we have some more information, we can make further suggestions to help! Please do not hesitate to ask any questions!! :)

The little guy might be stressed from the bullying.

Is it possible to relocate him to his own tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom