Indian Almond Leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImBettaThanCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to get Indian Almond Leaves for my betta tank. I heard they were REALLY good for bettas and that bettas love them. I want to get this too because it also apparently helps heal betta wounds(My betta did some tail-biting during his first night in his new tank). Its also said to lower the ph. Thats what I dont understand.
So heres the actual question. How much do these leaves affect the water chemistry? What does it mean by lowering the ph? Does that mean it makes it more acidic? And last but not least, do i have to rinse the leaves before putting them in the tank? I would like to know. Thanks.

Indian Almond leaves (as well as other types of leaves and driftwood) release tannins. These are substances that will give the water a yellowish brown look. Also known as black water effect. A particular type of tannin called tannic acid is slightly acidic and will reduce the pH. How much? That depends on the volume of the water and the number/amount of tannins present.
As for rinsing, it is usually not necessary unless they are dusty or “dirty”. I use these in my shrimp tanks and just put them in as is.

I have a 6.6 gallon tank. Im most likely gonna take half a leaf and put it in. So ahout 6 by 5 inches of a leaf. If i use carbon to remove the color, will the tannins stay? Or can i not use carbon as it will hinder the effects?

Black water actually looks really nice imo and depending on the decorations you may like it as well. Tannins don't do any harm to the fish.
Don't think carbon will have an effect on tannins.

Back
Top Bottom