indoor mini pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This summer I'm going to make a pond outside with some plastic sheeting from lowes

I've heard of people trying this, and other DIY pond liners, 9/10 doesn't end well. 1 guy had a blue heron tear through his plastic sheeting lol so he said. Randomly his water started going down a little bit every day. All he could think of was the heron always pecking around in the shallow area where the holes were.

the deep freeze broke about 3 years ago and it is built in to the basement and we cant get it out. so I told my mom I'm going to set up an aquaponics system to grow her herbs and other plants along with some tilapia to eat. The deep freeze is around 180g and it is well insulated so rarely heat lost. (may put a window in it dont know yet)

But I want a Koi / Guppy pond thing outside. The blue rope tub I am going to use as a guppy pond/ grow out tank this summer( may get couple more).

For the out door pond I am also looking at a 300g plastic tub that has a open top it will be around $100 but the Inflatable pool will be 200g for $24 ( I dont think I will have to worry about birds but I do have to worry about cats)

Any one have tips for keeping cats away from ponds?

man, we went through all this trouble to dig out a few hundred gal pond, installed filters (3 big 5 ft. Tower filters :D ) and then filled her up with water. All was well until we got to the stocking. My friends dad had to have koi, and nice ones, at that. He ended up getting 8 shipped from overseas or somthing, and they were over a hundred bucks a piece. Well after a few days of basking in the glory of our hard work, we realized there were only 2 koi left. A blue herring had been swoopin em up like candy, and tbh, cats and other critters, aside from spawning frogs never touched the pond. We ended up putting fishing string in a grid over the pond. You cant see it unless you right next to it, and it really pissed off the birds. Bottom line. Cats wont be your enemy, but all you need is chicken wire, or fishing string and some stakes to wrap it to. What kinda filter are you using, the idea of a blow up pool in my living room sounds neat, but doggies might not play nice

put up a fence around the indoor pond so your dog couldnt do any thing.

And I know I will have problems with cats. Everyday when I go in my back yard I scare off 2-4 cats (dont know why they all come to my house but they do.

My Idea to fix this is to get a green house. It is 6'x8' Sams club has them for $100 and the pond I was looking at is 300g and it is 47"x 43" I would put this pond in the green house and then have an Aquaponics filter system

Ya making the green house would be cheaper but if i were to make it it would cost around 50 and take a day of work. The sams club one folds up for storage so that's a plus. The plastic tub for the pond I feel like I could talk the guy down to like 75 and And if it was 300g I would only need one water pump to filter the water.

Back
Top Bottom